No Rudeness intended, but...

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why are the "Force" motors considered junk?
I own a boat, repair my own boat,(merc 4.3L) so to my friends, I'm a boat GOD!!! I've read on here, to avoid the Force motors. Why?

I understand why to tell them to avoid the OMC's, but why the force?

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Rudeness intended, but...

Readily available parts at your local marine store makes it hard to just run down and get the things you need. It also hung on the back of many Bayliners which in itself made it a perceived throw away combo. Entry level for many but still a great boat setup if maintained regularly. For the price point, I'm going on my 5th season and still going strong.

Cheers

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Force motors also, have a reputation for being underpowered compared to other manufacturers. In addition, Force is associated w/ the dreaded "hybrid" L-drive that Bayliner scrapped almost as soon as they started.
With that I have had my '91 90HP Force/Bayliner for about 7 years and up until last year had no issues. I did have to rebuild the motor last year but the dang thing was pretty easy to work on and the rebuild didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Most don't know what they are talking about. I had a pair on my boat for 22 years until I repowered with a single 225Merc.I have had nothing but trouble with my Merc and the dealer and factory techs can't figure out what's wrong.My first outboard a 70's 85 Merc blew a cylinder and I was very careful with it.
They are an inexpensive motor to initally purchase.They are easy to maintain and if something goes wrong they are easy to fix.
Sure they don't make anything over a 150hp.But anything bigger really sucks gas.Look around there are MILLIONS of them still running.
SOME people are snobs.As long as you maintain something it will last.Sure your gonna have trouble but anything will go bad after time.
Force held a speed record with an 85hp 62mph.I think it still holds.
I would own another.J

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's opinions and maintainability.

Take it this way.. At work I have a 120 lawn mower.. Every year, new filter, plug, blade and oil. Had it for over 10 years. Still runs.

My neighbor has a craftsman lawn mower he paid over 300 dollars. I've heard nothing bu complaints from him about his mower.. In the shop. 25 bucks here 100 bucks there. Never had a season without fixing it.

Just because there are a better well known brand, doesn't mean it's better. It's all about how it's taken care of.

Treat a chrysler/force motor good, it will treat you good.

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its all hype. Most people bash them because other people do, so it just has snowballed into a anti force mentality among boaters.. Same deal with bayliners. The reality is most who trash talk them never have owned one or owned one and didn't take care of it and had a bad experience. The reality is they just require owners who will take care of them good.

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fact that they are no longer in production probably scares a lot of people from buying a Force. Some of the parts are no longer available new, but can be still found used. The outboards were built well and will do fine as long as maintained properly. They are very easy to work on however many mechanics no longer accept them probably due to the difficulty with parts. As a result Force motors can be purchased at extremely low prices. If you are able to work on them yourself this is a great opportunity. I was able to pick up a 19 ft Bayliner cuddy cabin in excellent condition with a Force 125HP for $2500. I love mine plus, I really like the color and the design of the 1987 year and newer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you can't do the diagnostics and work yourself, good luck finding a shop that will work on them. Many of the places that will work on them, don't have the knowledge, experience, or even the service manuals, so they throw expensive parts art it and collect the money.

If you can't get them serviced,and can't fix it yourself, you sell it to the next guy.

They haven't been made since 1999. Dozens of model variations, parts combinations, make it hare to keep up with the different systems in play.