61 johnson 3hp wont run slow?

seahorserepair

Recruit
Have a 1961 johsnon 3hp seahorse model jw-17. I just redid the headgasket and cleaned the carb. replaced the coils and rest of the electrical a few years back. while adjusting the slow speed i cant seem to get the motor to idle slow. ive pre set both the needles to the initial settings that i found on this forum which has worked wonders in the past. i got the high dialed in but no matter how much adjusting on the slow i cant get it to stay running when it hits the arrow just before the word slow. any help would be a great help.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 61 johnson 3hp wont run slow?

When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the welch plug on top of the carb and clean the tiny, low-speed passages? Those are easy to miss.

seahorserepair

Recruit

thanks... no i did not. that will be my next task before i mess around with the needles again. I'll post my results when im finnished.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

OK.
Hopefully you have the carb kit with the replacement plug. They can't be re-used once taken out.

seahorserepair

Recruit

That did the trick. Pulled the plug and cleaned it out nice. had some trouble finding where i put the one from the new kit.... dont normally take the whole carb off to clean but now it runs better then ever. thanks.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Yep. Those are tiny little holes under there and they clog very easily.