sump pump in 1988 searay 268

vamanos

Seaman
Should this pump have an automatic setting on the helm dash or anywhere else in the boat? I am having to do it manually every day or two. How do I access this pump for service? The water in this sump is supposed to automatically drain to the bilge, yes or no? Thanks.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: sump pump in 1988 searay 268

OK, let's have a look at this.
On our sea ray sundancer there are two positions for pumps, one's in the bilge and has a toggle at the helm so you can turn it on manualy, as well it has the float switch that engages when the boat takes on water in the bilge and it pumps out the starboard side.
The other is under the rear right hand corner of the aft cabin bed, it should also have the toggle switch at the helm and the float switch.
This pump empties out on the port side directly across from the stairs.

vamanos

Seaman

OK, we're together on this pump situation. The sump pumps out the port side and the bilge pumps out the starboard side. Should I be able to access the sump pump for replacement or cleaning? Any tips on getting that done?

Thanks, it's great to have someone with the exact setup as mine.

While we're at it, does the sump and the bilge pump operate the alarm or just he bilge. Have you ever known an alarm (little box looking thing) to short out? I've cut the connection to the alarm because it was staying on and disturbing our marina residents. What do you think? By the way, the bilge never looks wet but has pumped water out before. Do you think that that water came from the sump area?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yes on the acsess, no on the alarm, don't have one.

vamanos

Seaman

How do you get to this sump area? The float switch must be in need of cleaning or replacing.