Starter or battery

wutagoalie

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I have an issue that my 3.0 alphaone merc (2002) will not fire over. When i turn the key i can here several small clicking noises (almost like a rattle snake)

I placed the battery on a charger and the charger stated it was 100%.

Is it possible the battery says 100% but still not enough power?

Im assuming those several small clicking noises is my starter, and it is fine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter or battery

Loose connections, dead battery cable ends or cables, corroded connections, wing nuts loose (replace with regular nuts and tighten with wrench)
Have the battery load tested. One with a dead cell can show 100% charge, but not work at all.
If that is all good, go to the link below.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

Take it to a marina or boat shop, they'll load test it free. had the same problem with mine when i charged it from sittin all winter. said 100%, but only had 6% capacity for the CCA (cold crank amps)...

wutagoalie

Seaman Apprentice

Loose connections, dead battery cable ends or cables, corroded connections, wing nuts loose (replace with regular nuts and tighten with wrench)
Have the battery load tested. One with a dead cell can show 100% charge, but not work at all.

Load test with a multimeter set to DC? What should it read?

Don S

You don't do a load test with a multimeter. All that does is check the voltage.
A load test puts a measured load (amperage) on a battery for a certain amount of time, and you read the voltage drop, which should be within a specific range. If too much voltage drop, the battery is garbage.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check the water level too if you need to add water use DI water.

wutagoalie

Seaman Apprentice

You don't do a load test with a multimeter. All that does is check the voltage.
A load test puts a measured load (amperage) on a battery for a certain amount of time, and you read the voltage drop, which should be within a specific range. If too much voltage drop, the battery is garbage.

What do you do a load test with?

What should voltage be with a multimeter?

Don S

What do you do a load test with?

A load tester, it's a special battery testing tool. Costs more than a new battery.

What should voltage be with a multimeter?

Let me say this again..... You don't do a load test with a multimeter.

Brewman61

Ensign

It's easy to find someone to do a free or inexpensive load test- they have an opportunity then to sell a new battery if the tested one fails. Pretty much everyone around here who sells batteries will do a load test free or very cheap.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the battery to a Napa Auto parts and they'll load test it for free. Then if it fails, they can provide a new one.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Harbor freight has load testers for 19 bucks. I had it for a few years and it never let me down. Looks just like the older snap on models these are chicago tool company.

Denny

wutagoalie

Seaman Apprentice

A load tester, it's a special battery testing tool. Costs more than a new battery.

Let me say this again..... You don't do a load test with a multimeter.

Ok everyone I understand that you cannot load test with a multimeter.

I am just looking for a simple answer, using a multimeter (NOT TESTING FOR LOAD!) what should the volts read on a good battery?

Once again ( NOT TESTING FOR LOAD< JUST INCASE DON MISSED THE FIRST ONE)

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

12v. With engine off 13/14v with engine running... this still wont tell you much unless you do a load test like don said.
Denny

wutagoalie

Seaman Apprentice

12v. With engine off 13/14v with engine running... this still wont tell you much unless you do a load test like don said.
Denny

10-4, i will bring it to a marina, just for me, i have a multimeter that has never been used, i figured id give it a try.

Thanks everyone