1973 85 hp cooling question

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1973 85 hp Johnson motor - 85ESL73M...which we just purchased, and our first boat...so am a "greenhorn". We are a bit concerned about the cooling system, as when we start it with ear muffs, we do not see any water coming out of the two exhaust holes (I think that is what they are called)

A couple questions:
1. When using ear muffs, should we see water spitting out immediately, or only after the motor warms up and the thermostat opens?
2. I am unable to find a part listing for a thermostat for this motor. I do find a part listed as a THERMO SWITCH LEAD. Does this motor have a thermostat?

We have purchased a new water pump kit, and from reading other forums, I think I have finally figured out how to successfully drop the lower unit...so many thanks to all who post expert advice.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 85 hp cooling question

You cannot test a water pump by running on muffs, so the question is moot. But it should spray water after enough time to fill the system.

It has a thermostat. Center, rear, below the powerhead, two big hoses run to it.

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK - thanks.
I see the two hoses, but do not see a water pump listed on the schematic. I will check again. Thanks for the reply

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The "thermostat" is called a vernatherm.