1961 merc500(set max advance and carbs)

coolguy147

Commander
what tools do i need for setting the max advance? from what ive read i need a timing guage? what is this<. and a magneto analyzer? aka OHM meter?

anybody know a simple way of doing it? ive read stuff from maxrules and it seems pretty simple to do.

it doesnt say what to set the max advance to though? break points and that's it.

i believe i cant set the "link and sync" for the carbs until i set the max advance so that's no use.

thanks guys:D

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1961 merc500(set max advance and carbs)

There are two special tools, they thread into the cylinder and physically set the advance stops from TDC. One for max advance, the other for low speed idle, and carb sync.You can just use a dial indicator instead of the gauges. Or if you can get a degree wheel and mark out the flywheel, and set up a pointer, you can just use a timing light. I have a 61 800 fgs, I have the jig, and I also used a degree wheel to mark out the flywheel, so now I can do a qucik one with just a timing light, much faster, and just about as good.

coolguy147

Commander

this motor doesnt even have timing marks for timing light.
from laddies

If you have reset the timing belt then know that there is a arrow under the plate on the magneto drive wheel, so with the bonnet off and if it lines up properly put the plate back on most plates have another line that when you turn the flywheel will line up with a second line on the flywheel with a 0 on it. With the second line on the plate lined up with the straight line on the flywheel the engine will be at .235 BTDC or about 35 degrees. With the mag against the advance stop and a OHM meter attached to the ground out stud the points should just break by moving the mag back and forth against the stop. That sets you max spark. once the stop is set. with the mag at max advance you should have about .015 between the tower lever and the carb pick up, if it's within .020 and runs go don't worry about it. REMEMBER more MERCURYS are screwed up with people adjusting on them than any other thing.

according to this all you need is a feeler guage( i have:D) and OHM meter to watch the points break. and use the TDC and BTDC marks on the flywheel to set the advance.

i finally understand what he is saying after reading through many articles and looking at my motor

therefore i know why it's bogging now! because the carbs are opening way to soon! before the magneto is even at max advance!:eek: im going to have a heart attack at 15!

coolguy147

Commander

ok i think i might need a dial indicator to measure the ten-thousands of an inch,

my main question though is what is a dial indiactor and how do i use it for my motor?

i can't find anything that relates to a timing guage.

coolguy147

Commander

bump:D

any ideas on setting the max advance?

i know you need a dial indicator but how do i even hook it up:confused:

hmm i believe i ahve a timing light somewhere but that degree wheel seems pretty nice too:D ill look into that.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

this motor doesnt even have timing marks for timing light.
from laddies

that is what the degree wheel is for, to put the marks ON the flywheel, in the correct spot for a timing light.
If you have reset the timing belt then know that there is a arrow under the plate on the magneto drive wheel, so with the bonnet off and if it lines up properly put the plate back on most plates have another line that when you turn the flywheel will line up with a second line on the flywheel with a 0 on it. With the second line on the plate lined up with the straight line on the flywheel the engine will be at .235 BTDC or about 35 degrees.

Not correct for setting max advance.

i finally understand what he is saying after reading through many articles and looking at my motor

therefore i know why it's bogging now! because the carbs are opening way to soon! before the magneto is even at max advance!:eek: im going to have a heart attack at 15!

If you think your know the procedure, then fine, its your motor. Unless I am miss reading your post, your will not have correctly set the max advance stop.
On those motors, unless someonne put the marks on the flywheel, there is no marking for 35 degrees, nor TDC, the marks you refer to, just sync the distribiutor, to the flywheel.
The carbs opening before max advance will cause bogging, but if you incorrectly do the link and sync, you may hole a piston at the end of the day, if you don't understand the procedure.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 65 Merc 500, this is how max advance is set. Maybe this will give you a better idea of how it's done without a timing light. You just need to know your BTDC reading. For mine, it's .200. I'm not sure if the 61 model year is the same.

man1e.jpg

man2g.jpg

coolguy147

Commander

i think i really understand the procedure for setting the max advance now! thanks guys

last thiing is that i need a dial indicator but how do i even use it to set the timing with it? is there even a way to thread it in?

where can i get one? napa? do they cost a ton of money?

Last edited:

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

YOu use the dial indicator, in place of the special tool timing jig.So insert the dial indicator into the correct cylinder, ( normally not number one, I think its three on yours but don't take my word look in the manual). Find TDC with the piston using the dial guage (no I am not explaining how to use a dail gauge). Then rotate the flywheel counter clockwise 1/2 turn, now set the dial indicator to the correct advance number ( .235 of an inch for yours I think, but don't take my word, you find the correct number). now rotate the flywheel clockwise untill the dial indictor says it in the right spot. NOw do the rest of the settings as outlined in the manual.

coolguy147

Commander

how do i even screw it in if it's just a indicator?

all a normal one from habor freight is a dial with a stick poking out the bottom.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Well two options, take an old spark plug, gut out the core, leaving only the threaded section, and mount the harbour frieght one in that, or buy the correct one with the threaded assembly as part of the kit.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

I've never used it, so I can't say yes. Remember your measuring thousands of an inch, any movement of the dial indicator and the number is off, so I'd vote getting the right tool for the right job, after all, a mistake could cost you a blown power head....right?

coolguy147

Commander

screw it. im leaving the timing as is.

all i did was sink the carbs to the mag.

blow a piston or not im sick of constantly working on this dang motor.

ive been running this engine quite a bit hasnt given me trouble at speed at all.

probably about 30-40 hours since ive restored it.

clean carbs.

idle needles at 1 1/2 out.

idles low.

starts great.

planes great.

took a 200pound teen out of the water in a tube. (full throttle for a little for the boat to plane):eek:

a wise man once told me that more mercs are screwed up from adjustment more than anything else. :p