Issue intalling autopilot

valmorel

Cadet
I just installed a new Ray Marine S 1000 autopilot in my 26 Glacier Bay 2640 SX Renegade.
I am having a problem trying to determine the correct wires to connect the autopilot to my Garmin 2110 Chartplotter.
The Garmin shows the output to the autopilot being either the blue wire or the gray wire for the positive (+) and the negative being black (-) and connected to ground.
The autopilot shows the VE Out (-) (NMEA Receive) as the brown wire and VE Out (+) (NMEA Receive) as the green wire.
The autopilot shows the VE Out (-) (NMEA Transmit) as the Orange wire and the VE In (+) (NMEA Transmit) as the blue wire.

I tried connecting the gray wire from the Garmin and the ground wire to the brown/green and orange/blue wires on the Autopilot. Both times the autopilot remote showed "No GPS Signal" when I tried to activate the autopilot in Auto or Track modes.

If anyone can offer any suggestions it would greatly be appreciated. I was thinking of jumping off the NMEA wires going to the DSC on my VHF radio. Does anyone know if that would be a problem?

boris50

Recruit
Re: Issue intalling autopilot

Did you configure the Garmin to transmit the NMEA data?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Issue intalling autopilot

You do not need any data from the autopilot so forget about the "transmit" function (orange and blue wires) on the auto pilot.

The Garmin uses either the blue or the grey wire to "transmit" the data and uses the black wire as ground. The autopilot "receives" the data via the green wire and uses the brown as ground.

Connect the two grounds together, black goes to brown. Then connect GPS "transmit" (blue or grey) to the autopilots "receive" (green) and you should be good to go.