no fuel to carb, 1995 3.0lx

tapdawgy

Recruit
I have a 1995 Dynasty Spree with the 3.0lx. Always has run fine and started easily in the spring after storage. This year, no fuel to the carb (I took off the fuel line to the carb, before the filter and absolutely nothing comes out when cranking), though the sight tube is dry. It ran when being fogged for winterizing, and I put stabilizer in the fuel, and it just sat, so it is hard to imagine that it could have a total clog somewhere all of the sudden. Boat was covered so no crap could get anywhere. This one has the mechanical pump and no water-separator filter. I suppose diaphragm could be ruptured but again no fuel in the sight tube. Could be that no fuel is getting even to the pump, but seems odd to happen when running fine when fogging. This boat has been dead reliable-only difference is I stored it outside last winter though it was winterized well. Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

tapdawgy

Recruit
Re: no fuel to carb, 1995 3.0lx

Help! Does the mechanical fuel pump sometimes get stuck. I saw somewhere where one guy said it needs a tap to get going. Why not switch to an electric pump with the same flow? Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A mechanical pump does not stick. It cannot pump fuel if it cannot suck it up from the tank. Have you disconnected the fuel line at the "inlet" side of the pump and tried to pull up some fuel. A stuck anti-siphon valve may very well be the culprit. Strange things happen when boats are in storage. Adding stabil to the fuel stabilizes the fuel but unless you actually run the engine long enough to get the mixture throughout the fuel system, it can only stabilize what fuel is in the tank. That leaves the entire engine fuel system unprotected.

tapdawgy

Recruit

i did check the fuel tank: I hooked a small tube to the fuel pickup and was able to both blow into it and also suck fuel out easily (that was fun :eek:) I also blew into the vent hose and it was clear. The fuel line itself is also clear. I also found that I could put a hose on the pump inlet and blow and air would come out the end of the fuel line that I have disconnected from the carb. If I try to create vacuum from the inlet, I can get some, but it is unrestricted as far as blowing into it. I guess my next task is to see if it can pull from a pail of gas to test if it is generating a vacuum at all. Because the fuel line and pickup seem to be clear, I think the pump diaphragm is probably shot. Any other ideas?

Thanks

tapdawgy

Recruit

My fuel line is clear and un-obstructed, and I can draw fuel from the tank by just sucking on it, so there is no restriction preventing the fuel pump pulling fuel. I have also run a line from the fuel pump inlet to an separate tank and when cranking the engine the pump pulled absolutely no fuel, so I am pretty sure the pump is the culprit.

I removed the pump and it came off easily. If I don't turn over the motor, which I will not do, then it seems as if getting the new pump on will be a snap. I had read threads about how hard it is to get the pump arm aligned to a rod or something, but mine looks as if the pump arm rides on a cam directly.

I did try to take off the metal fuel line from the connection before the fuel pump but it seems as if the fuel line is not removable from that connection and you have to remove the entire thing from the fuel pump housing where the connector screws on. Is that right or is the fuel line just pressure fitted to the connection (there was a brass nut that i loosened but could not get the fuel line removed).

Thanks