2007 Yamaha 200 HPDI burning tuners

jsbecker

Recruit
My 2007 Yamaha 200 HPDI is in the shop again for the FORTH burned tuner in less than 300 hours?another holiday weekend with NO BOAT. My water pressure hasn?t been right since I bought the boat. About a year and half ago (after the second tuner) one of the mechanics told me the pressure gage really doesn?t mean that much with the HPDI, and won?t ever **** very hard?BS! I?m finding out the opposite. The dealer cannot find the issue despite multiple consultations with Yamaha techs. This time I?ve had the boat back less than a month (30 hrs) and the tuner is burned up again. They said there was a bunch of shells in the pickup screens causing a clog and eluded that was running in shallow water?not the fact. I explain that the day before I brought it in we were beached after a Tarpon tourn and my son didn?t lift the motor, but that small amount shouldn?t cause this major of a problem? give me a break! Has anyone heard of this issue? They are telling me it?s the first time in over 25 years of business that they have seen this. I find that hard to believe and would like some suggestions from anyone?please!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2007 Yamaha 200 HPDI burning tuners

what is a tuner?
never seen that term in a YAMAHA manual

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

tuuner is the ex pipe,some pages call it a muffler.
typically they burn due to loss of cooling water.
especially when the low water pick up is used and used in shallow ater.
the low water pikup was NOT intended for shallow ater use but for use with jack plates in deep water on bass boat type hulls.
the other reason, on a two stroke, for them to burn is rich fuel mix,could be due to high rail pressure,leaking lift pump or venting fuel into the intake or a leaking injector.
this will cause fuel to burn in the tuner.
usually a lean mix will pop a two stroke piston before the tuner burns.
remember HPDI injects fuel AFTER both intake and ex ports are closed,then it lights the fire.
only thing we cant control is when the fire goes out.
using 93+ octane can do it as well.
rich mix will still be burning when the ex port opens,to high an octane fuel wil still be burnig as well due to the slower burn rate of high octane fuels.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Good info, I have always heard to only run 87 but this is the 1st time I heard what it will hurt.
are the HPDI motors the only ones the high octane hurts or is it all 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not saying it will hurt anything,just that the possibility exists.
years ago when ultra high compression engines were in the 10.5 to 11.5 range it required 98 octane fuels.
most modern outboards are in the 9 to 1 range with way better timing and fuel controls than cars of the 60's.
the higher the octane,compression ratio the same, the slower the burn rate of the fuel.
some outoards will actually lose 10 to 15% of their rated horse power at WOT due to high octane fuel.

jsbecker

Recruit

I run 89 octane Non-ethanol fuel. The struggle has been with the water pressure. I do have a jack plate but only use it when idling in shallow water. Or if I am on plain and come to a low area it?s only up for 20 to 30 seconds, but this has happen very rarely over the past 2 years. I can be running 30 mph in the ICW with about 12 psi, give it throttle and the pressure drops to ZERO. This has been an issue since I got the boat (3 yrs ago) and they keep trying to elude to the fact I?m running with the jack plate up, and I keep telling them I?M NOT!!! Have tried to explain to them I?m very aware of my depths and the way my boat is handled. I wouldn?t pay this much for a boat every month and abuse it, I?m 47 not 17?and work too darn hard for my money. I?m in total frustration with this motor. I will be speaking with Yamaha directly next week and hopefully get an answer, but I?m very doubtful!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

have you tried to have them take the boat out and run it to see this lose of pressure? Sounds like there is a set up issue.

Rodbolt is the MAN how knows pay attention to his advice.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you can call yamaha all you wish.
tell them exactly what you told us.
they will tell you like I am going to.
you have a setup issue NOT a yamaha issue.
anything above abot 2000 RPM you should have 12PSI minimum water pressure.
normaly its in the 18-25 PSI range.
I work on a lot of flats style boats,my seapro is a flats style with a 6" hydraulic jack,trim tabs,F150,second station and I have to monitor my water pressure.
post the full model number,or at least say if its a z200 or a VZ200
kinda like the guy a few weeks back that popped a piston,could not understand why, he only overheated it once.
sometimes you only get one shot at it.
0PSI water and an extreme amount of heat and POOF tuner smokes.
its WATER cooled.
fix your set up issues.

jsbecker

Recruit

The motor is a VZ200TLR. I?m not following what you mean by a ?setup issue?. The boat was setup by the dealer and the only additions I have added are a power pole and trolling motor, which obviously have nothing to do with it. The latest suggestion was the hull was possibly delaminating causing an air pocket at higher speeds so the pickups are not getting enough water?hard to believe on a 3 yo Pathfinder. It just seems that this motor is so temperamental. I have spoke to friends and other HPDI owners who say they have run through sandbars jack the plate all time and have never burned a tuner?their motors ranged from 3 ? 7 yo.
More specific on what you mean by ?setup? would be great?thanks for your help!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dont care who set it up, either the set up is wrong or a tech incorrectly installed a part.
0 PSI is typically from air in the water intake or exhaust gases in the pump intake area.
one is caused by incorect engine height the other by a tech.