Mercury Wiring Where do these wires go ........

I recently purchased a used outboeard and controls and have hit a snag during the install.

The guy before me has to cut wires to remove the controls from a trophy

In the pics you cas see that i have spliced the colors back together. But only the ones that were obvious.

There are some colors that are in triplicate and i did not just want to wire them up without a little help.

My big question is what wire do i run to the battery.

There are 3 red and Blue

There are 3 Blacks

There are 3 Black and yellows

Each has one coming from the motor side one from key side and one from controls

The bottom one is a red and white

There are also two yellow wires coming from the control box which i have no idea as to what they hook up to.

Please if there is anyone that has the knowledge to help me out it would be much appreciated.

I would take it in and have it done but i live quite a ways from anything and i like to know how things go together in case i ever have a problem.....

Attachments

• DSCF1581.jpg
    DSCF1581.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1582.jpg
    DSCF1582.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Mercury Wiring please HELPPPPPP.....

Re: Mercury Wiring please HELPPPPPP.....

I don't have wiring diagram at this present time. On Vacation.
But I will tell you this. When you figure out the wires, soldier the wire and use eopxy shrink wrap tubing. If Not You will have all kinds of problems down the road.

Re: Mercury Wiring Where do these wires go ........

Thanks ya i planned on hooking wires up better just wanted to make sure i got it figured out how they all went together bofore i committed....

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what model and size.

If i just hook up like colors and hook up a positive wire to the red and white the starter will spin but not engage..... is it running backwards ...... so it the polarity reversed somewhere....

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If the starter is running backwards, I would think the polarity on the battery is reversed.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Usually a starter that turns but does not engage is a voltage supply problem, dirty brush/armature contact, or a failing starter.

Make sure the battery passes a load test at your local NAPA, Auto Zone, or equivalent, then grab your trusty battery jumper cables and go straight from the battery to the starter, if it engages when you strike the jumper directly to the starter then the battery and starter are O.K. but you have a poor connection somewhere in between.

Wiring diagrams might be found in the service manual available on-line thru the City of Hibbing Library, look here

http://www.hibbing.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={8B2E6CEF-5E42-4BA4-AA26-31E0490E23F4}

Thanks for the info ......After doing some searching and reading on here i am sure that it is a voltage problem. All i have hooked up to the battery is the small accessory wire

I am thinking that i need a main Positive wire coming from the battery to the silenoid please correct me if i am wrong and confirm it if i am right....