Control cable repair??

Dotong

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Is it possible to replace the plastic adjustment bit on the threaded bar on my throttle cable. The plastic broke about half way and i have another shorter cable i could take it from. Or will i need to buy a new cable.

Cheers guys

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Control cable repair??

I don't see any way to do it. You'd have to somehow get the big plastic barrel off the motor end, and that doesn't look user-serviceable to me.

What length is your cable? Do you only need one? My teeny 15' used boat (w/1978 Merc 70) came with control cables that were too long (11 or 12 feet, can't recall). One went bad so I replaced with a pair of better-fitting 10-footers. So I've got a used but good 11- or 12-footer if you need one.

EDIT: is Isle of Lewis in UK? If so, shipping probably too much to bother for.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Look for a 1/8" square head brass bolt in the middle of the plastic cable end. Loosen it and the end will come off. Now you can install the other barrell.

When you go to reinstall the cable end, make sure both sides of the brass clamp are loose, and the hole is lined up. Tighten one side until snug, and then tighten it 1/8 turn more to bend the inner cable. Now tighten the other side of the clamp.

Dotong

Seaman Apprentice

I cant see a 1/8" square brass bolt. Its the teleflex type cable. it looks like a sealed unit. Its at the engine end of the cable and there is a plastic runner with a steel stud through it. the adjustment barrel is on a brass thread behind this.

Thanks