4 Hp 4 cycle Nissan- Friction plate screw

Al Skiff

Recruit
I have a 4 hp 4 cycle Nissan motor and it was purchased new about 2001. It is on a sailboat so I am using the friction plate screw to set the motor and using the sailboat rudder to steer. I have noticed that the screw cannot be tighten enough to prevent the motor from turning. In addition motor oil is slowly going down the outside of the drive shaft below the friction screw. What could be wrong and how do I get to the area to inspect it?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 Hp 4 cycle Nissan- Friction plate screw

Motors should not be adjusted that tight as to prevent turning sideways, small outboards tends to do that, if you adjust that tight, will probably ruin interior steering bushing. The one the screw is tightened against by menas of a friction plate. Will need to disassemble to have a look. Try locking by menas of 2 lateral ropes tied to both handle holes and to boat sides and keep using rudder to trun.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 4 Hp 4 cycle Nissan- Friction plate screw

That steering friction is not a steering lock, and will not work the way you have tried to use it. Overtightening it will wear it out very fast.

Depending on the model, you will need to replace the bushing and friction band.

The oil below the steering friction area is likely grease from the steering area combined with broken-down bushing gunk.