72 Aristocraft 19' Vs. 78 Wellcraft Nova 250 XL For First Boat

nick3757

Cadet
First off, I've been a lurker here for a while and now I have a question. I'm 20 years old and I'm looking for a boat. I've done quads, bikes, cars and trucks but I'm new to boating. I found a 1972 Aristocraft 19' boat with a 4 cylinder mercruiser in it. It needs a carb rebuild and thats it. It's very solid with a nice interior and a sliding hard top. He is asking $1200 for it. The other choice that my dad thinks I should get is a 78 Wellcraft Nova 250 XL. It has twin 350's and one of the alpha outdrives needs a bearing. It does not have any cushions in the cuddy either. The seller is asking $3000 for it and my father is willing to go half on it with me.

I'm leaning towards the Aristocraft because I have a jeep grand cherokee and there is no way I could tow a 25' boat with it. The problem is my dad said that the Aristocraft wont be able to get up on a plane and it won't ride very well. He also said that because it is a hardtop it will be too hot in the sun on the boat.

Does anybody have any input on which one I should get or any experiences with either one?

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 72 Aristocraft 19' Vs. 78 Wellcraft Nova 250 XL For First Boat

The Nova weights 5000 dry per the original specs.

http://www.iboats.com/Wellcraft_Marine__250_Nova_XL__1978/bp/64b101304r2

The highest tow rating I have ever seen for a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 is 7400 lbs. When you throw in the weight of the trailer, fuel, gear, etc.. you're just cuttung it way too close. Congrats to you for being the responsible party and tell your father you are not willing to put your lives or the lives of others around you at risk trying to tow a boat that is way too heavy for your vehicle. Either have your old man buy a stronger truck, buy the Aristocrat if you like it, or wait and see if you can find a boat that is a little more manageable for you to tow.

Obviously I'm a little partial, but the Wellcraft V20 is probably perfect for your needs and your towing limits. They're also quite available. Mine is a '76, it cost me $2900 and I didn't negotiate nearly enough.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

An old-azz 25' twin engine boat will take big bucks to maintain. More than most 20 year olds should take on.

nick3757

Cadet

Thanks for the answers. I figured that the wellcraft would cost way too much to maintain and fuel. Now I have to convince him that the aristocrat would be better for me to get. It's going to be a tough job considering his first boat was an 18' baja jet boat lol.

ziggy

Admiral

The problem is my dad said that the Aristocraft wont be able to get up on a plane and it won't ride very well.
of course it'll get on plane,
MissouriRiver09_16_07_43.jpg

though i doubt it'll be a speed demon. mid thirty's (mph) i think is what folks are getting out of their 4 cyl. powered nineteens. my 6 cyl. does about 41 or 42. it planes easy too with minimal bow rise. personally. my hole shot is better than both my buddys boats. one is a bayliner 190hp, one is a 220hp stingray....
He also said that because it is a hardtop it will be too hot in the sun on the boat.
ya can take the hardtop off a nineteen if ya want to. it's also a sliding hardtop. like this.
JollyRancher_05.jpg

i've never been too hot on mine. maybe a little warm on the feet at the helm on the hottest of nebraska days (which would be in the low 100's + humid). on the contrary. the hardtop presents shade which will keep you cool on a hot day. i frequently seek refuge for shade under my hardtop.
on the other side of the coin. with a hardtop you'll be boating in much cooler weather than everyone else. i croninkly boat when it's cool out. everyone (fisherman and the likes) are all bundled up in sweatshirts with hoods up and look very cold. me, i'm under my hardtop in my swimsuit w/o a shirt on. and then there's when it rains. everyone running for the boat ramp. me. i put my aft curtain up and go full enclosed.
IMG_2005.jpg

while not totally dry inside. it is mostly dry. i sleep onboard in rain storms and boat in rain too... nice and cozy.

then there's the interesting note that aristocraft boats are mostly wood free in design. no stingers to rot, minimal wood in the transom to rot. they are however filled with foam which can become saturated over the years. as boat repair goes i understand it to be easier to fix than repairing stringers and transoms.

a carb rebuild on the 4 cyl. will be easy.

i can't comment on the wellcraft. but twin 350's is gonna suck the fuel down + brgs going out in the drive and ya might as well figure on R&Ring the drive with a sei at $1300. the repair will likely be in that figure and it'll still be a used drive.

obviously, i'm pro AristoCraft and somewhat prejudice.. :cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ziggy's boat is one of the coolest on iboats. If you can get one of those for $1200 with a Mercruiser in it, I'd say go for it! The bigger boat sounds like a money pit to me.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ziggy's boat is one of the coolest on iboats. If you can get one of those for $1200 with a Mercruiser in it, I'd say go for it! The bigger boat sounds like a money pit to me.

I agree, that Aristocrat is sweeeet!

NHGuy

Captain

There was a gold Aristocraft w black trim around my area the summer before last, a guy had it redone at the boat works near my dad's place. Oooooh sweet classic looks.

nick3757

Cadet

Thanks for the input Ziggy. You have a really nice boat there. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Aristocraft. Does anybody know where to get an aft canopy at?

ziggy

Admiral

Does anybody know where to get an aft canopy at?
from AristoCraft.... :D www.aristocraftboats.com
they had some made up within fairly recent history. don't know if he's got any left. just give them a call. they're real friendly folks..

might sweet having the oem still offer support on a 35+ year old boat ay... :cool:

btw.. AristoCraft never sold out either. like to genmar or brunswick... they were, are, a family owned boat company.... Americans...

thanks for the nice comments on my boat. it's starting show a little wear though. like i been using it... which i have... :)

ya might check out the aristocraft forum here too http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=224. up to three pages of comments on these boats.. again, wet foam is their biggest drawback...

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Early Wellcrafts are notorious for rotten stringers and transoms. Ask me...........

nick3757

Cadet

Thaks for the input guys. I'm going to see if I could get the guy to take it to a scale and see if the foam is waterlogged. If it isn't too bad I think I'm going to get the aristocraft.

motherofdog

Cadet

Hi Nick,

First... Go for the AristoCraft! They are sweet boats and easy to work on. It's also a classic. It's a lighter boat and easy to trailer. Also, consider joining the nearest chapter of the ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society). The members are helpful beyond belief. If you can, go to some of their shows and talk to the boat owners. They will be more that willing to discuss the best ways to restore and maintain your boat.

Aristocraft is in Atlanta, GA and you can get some replacement part there if you need anything.

As far as wet foam, slide on over to the AristoCraft forum on Iboats. Scott (from Aristocraft) wrote a great "how to" on digging out the old foam and refoaming. Others commented on the thread where to get the lowest price foam for refilling.

Digging out the foam is not that big of a deal, start in the back and you may find that the foam under the front seats is dry.

Best of luck to you!

Jerri

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would say go with the Aristocraft. Growing up we had a 64' with a 50 hp mercury ob with 6 of us in the boat it would still pull a tube at 20 easy. It also had a hard top and big finns. it reminded me of a cadilac. but all in all the aristocraft sounds like a better deal.

Ziggy that's a nice ride. :D:D:D

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That hardtop looks great. If it checks out even 1/2 way ok, I'd get the Aristocraft.

nick3757

Cadet

I decided to go with the Aristocraft. I put a deposit on it but the guy lost the title so I have to wait a week or two for harrisburg to send a new one out. It looks to be in good shape except it's missing the center windshield.

It has a universal electric fuel pump on it but it isn't right for the boat. Once I get it I'm just going to do a regular tune up and change the fuel pump and rebuild the carb. I can't wait to get it in the water!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Where are you in PA?

You probably already know this but....you'll be comforted to know that a lack of proper paperwork for a boat in PA is absolutely no big deal. Trailers, however, I believe are a real pain.

nick3757

Cadet

I'm in Moosic, about 5 minutes south of scranton. I still have to find out bout the boat trailer title. His uncle is a friend of mine and the boat actually was his so he may still have the boat title.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

WE WANT PICTURES!!! :D

Man, I love that boat! I remember going to the NY Boat Show from the age of 4(?) to about 16, and in '72 I was 7. I had the Aristocraft brochure with your boat in it, and I thought then, and still do, that it is about the coolest boat design.

Good luck with that gem, and welcome to iBoats! We really hope you stick around. You'll learn tons, and I'm sure there are a few of us that will enjoy and appreciate what you bring to us, as well.

BTW, what color is yours?

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like yer just about to be an Aristocraft owner. cool. i really have nothing to say but good about mine. wish ya nothing but good luck in the title snafu. sure hope that works out for ya..

fwiw. the center window panel is still available from AristoCraft best i know.