Check water pump and check engine compression (low compression on 1, 2 and 4).

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check water pump and check engine compression (low compression on 1, 2 and 4). Blowing water out of three cylinders.

This is what the mechanic said. I am thinking its a head gasket...any ideas?

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Check water pump and check engine compression (low compression on 1, 2 and 4).

Brock, the head should've been off already.

please find your old posts and update them, you can search by your login name, or save the pages as links on your windows desktop. ( just drag and drop the little icon next to http )

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Check water pump and check engine compression (low compression on 1, 2 and 4).

I am trying to find parts for my engine, i see these part numbers on the engine.
432APFTC
T0940985

Can you please help me on what kind of engine i have? anyone?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

What are we working on here.... A Mercrusier or an Edsel?

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OMC Cobra

JustJason

Vice Admiral

How about an approximate year and engine size also...

If you put what engine you have down in the signature section of your profle people won't always have to ask ya :)

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4.3L Cobra v6 i believe. The boat is a Starcraft 1987 Select 191 cuddy

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Now we are getting somewhere.

After a compresson test reveals low compresson. The next step is to perform a leakdown test to pinpoint the leak. What did the leakdown show... or have you not done one yet?

He should be doing it on his own, but tell your mechanc to do a leakdown test. If he doesn't know what your talking about, find a new mechanic.

zbnutcase

Commander

Any mechanic that doesn't own a leakdown tester is not a mechanic.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am the mechanic now, this is my first boat. I am very good with car engines and have no problems doing a head gasket, however i know NOTHING about boats. I cant find any specs on this engine for how many quarts of oil it takes or what kind etc...I am assuming standard 5w-30 about 5 quarts...any feedback? I was planning on draining oil then checking for water, also refilling with oil and putting a tablespoon in cylinders to see if it fires up so i know if i have cracks...i beleive its just a head gasket and if so i am going to start ripping it apart. I just need some specs and information on this boat etc. Any ideas?!

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am the mechanic now, this is my first boat. I am very good with car engines and have no problems doing a head gasket, however i know NOTHING about boats. I cant find any specs on this engine for how many quarts of oil it takes or what kind etc...I am assuming standard 5w-30 about 5 quarts...any feedback? I was planning on draining oil then checking for water, also refilling with oil and putting a tablespoon in cylinders to see if it fires up so i know if i have cracks...i beleive its just a head gasket and if so i am going to start ripping it apart. I just need some specs and information on this boat etc. Any ideas?!

doubtful its a head gasket as you have 2 cylinders on 1 bank and 1 on the other all showing low compression !

what where your compression numbers anyhow?

as mentioned you need to do a leakdown and fdollow through with other troubleshooting steps to really find your problem ..

fish

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was working on the engine yesterday and found out that the negative plug on the battery was shot,(it was smoking) It got so hot it melted completely off the battery. I went and bought a new one and got it installed. Cranked the engine a few more times and it started to act like it wanted to turn over. Took the carb filter off the top and cranked it, started right up. Ran great for about three minutes then i shut it off since i didnt want it to overheat since i know it has a bad thermostat.
So started it up 20 min later to see if it would start...sure enough ran like a champ.
After all this i took off the thermostat housing and rust and crap started puring out of it, it cleaned it up and took the whole housing off and noticed the housing is rusted so bad its like someone welded rust onto the housing with the Thermostat in it. Anyways i think thats the problem and why i overheated previously. Now the mechanic said he ran compression tests on it about a month ago and it had not been ran since memorial day. Do you think its possible he cranked it when the battery cable was so bad and it barely cranked so it read low compression? I think from sitting a month or two it was cranking so slow that the compression read bad....anyways i cant believe it would run as smoothly as it did yesterday with a blown head gasket. No water that i notice in the oil....looks clean...any ideas? Feedback?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Brock download the manual from the stickies and do the troubleshooting procedures and give yourself so piece of mind and a compression guage is pretty cheap 20.00 @ harbor frieght you would be suprised how well something runs without a load put on it the sooner you perform the troublshooting steps to narrow the issues you stated the sooner you can be back on the water. Eveything you need to know about your boats issues is in the stickies section read it and follow it to a T and post back your results you'll be suprised how many replies you will end up with.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took the boat out yesterday, ran fine, only thing is when i hit full throttle after about 20 seconds of hauling at probably 25-30MPH it starts to heat to about 212 degrees...I am assuming that is high since the gauge goes up to around 240-250....

Anyways drive it at around 3RPM's temp stays at 150 and runs great...any ideas?

Also my dipstick wont go in...goes in about half way then acts like its hitting something, any ideas on that?