1977 johnson 85 hp thermostat overheat problem

merlin8676

Recruit
I have a 1977 johnson 85 hp that is over heating, Replaced the water pump, really think I did a solid job, tube's in the pump correct. I started the unit and it ran cool in March, Started it up and now hot, Now thinking its the thermostat,

Cant get the 2 bolts completely out of the thermostat housing due to the lower cowling ( Any tricks to this ?? ) ( Is the thermostat housing connected to anything else thats keeping it from coming up ?? ) Drilling 2 holes isnt a bad idea if theres nothing else connected to it )

Thermostat must be orig , Could it be causing the over heat ??

Can someone advise please, Really want to get this up and running

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1977 johnson 85 hp thermostat overheat problem

loosen the housing, and bring housing and bolts up together, same installing.

merlin8676

Recruit
Re: 1977 johnson 85 hp thermostat overheat problem

Thank you for the reply, I got the thermostat out and what a mess, No water could have gotten through there.

I put the unit back together just to see and it started up and circulated just fine. I understand that I should not run this way but I just wanted to see.

MOTOR ran fine then quit, I cant get it started back up. AT ALL . I am getting great spark, Even hit the carbs with some starting fluid and absolutly nothing... Seems as if I go from one problem to another. Worked on getting spark, changed power pack , the thermostat, NOW THIS..

What could all the sudden cause it that this motor wont fire at all. What did I do now. Ran fine stoped abruptly the could not start back up.

For what its worth, I truly appreciate your replys and help. You just have no idea, no one here in WV can help.

Mark