70 hp Evinrude stalling

fish46

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 70 HP evinrude (70473-M) on a starcraft aluminum boat. I had problems with it staying on and coming on. On the transom I found what I think is a external anode. I connect the wire inside to the motor and took care of that problem. Now the problem is that when I take off it stalls and about a minute later it takes offs and planes and when when I stop and try to take off again it does it again. I also changed the fuel pump and cleaned the carbs and still does it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 70 hp Evinrude stalling

1974 model.

What is this "external annode" you found on the transom? Where does the wire lead to, and where on the motor did you connect it?

What exactly do you mean when you say "stall"? The engine shuts down? Boggs down?

Sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders when that happens.

Unless by "cleaned the carbs" you mean "disassembled, soaked overnight in carb cleaner and reassembled with new carb kits" followed by a link & sync, then your carb work is incomplete.

But 3 things you need to do first, before any other maintenance:
1. Buy a repair manual. I highly recommend the factory shop manual.
2. Compression test.
3. Spark test. Use an inline tester ($5 at autozone), set the gap at 7/16", clip it to the engine block, attach the plug leads (one at a time) and look for a strong blue spark while cranking.

report your results.

Also inspect the fuel tank for water & debris, make sure the fuel is fresh, the tank vent is open and clear, and the spark plugs are champion QL77JC4 in good condition, gapped at .030.

fish46

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 70 hp Evinrude stalling

got a manual for it checked compressions 125 on and 3 cylinder and replaced spark plugs also checked spark was good had new gas when i took it out also replaced one of the coils (#1) had a crack on it ill be at the lake this weekend taking an other coil and other carbs from other motor that's working what i mean by stalling i mean it boggs down runs about 7 mph then just takes off and the wire from the anode i connected to the engine block