6hp Evinrude Fisherman is frozen tight

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just adopted this one from an estate, whereby the owner (now gone) probably was in no condition to start it for 25 years or more. Really clean, looks almost new. 1967 model with a really nice cowl.

What do I do first to unfreeze the crank? is there a special lube I can buy to pour in the spark plug holes, and soak the piston tops in??

Rick.

Captain
Re: 6hp Evinrude Fisherman is frozen tight

Pull the plugs and lay it on it belly (plug holes facing up). Start by pouring some TCW3 oil in the holes and then rotate it side to side and back and forth to make sure oil is distributed. Let her sit a couple days and then try turning the fly wheel by hand. Always in a clockwise direction. Keep trying and it should loosen up in time unless it was ceased by over heat and put away that way. Once she turns go to the top secret file at the top of this forum on what you should do to get it running. Best of luck. Rick.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Don't force it, no matter what you do. It's likely that the rings are rusted to the cylinder wall. I use PB Blaster to soak the cylinders.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it were mine, I'd tear it apart to inspect everything. Start by dropping the lower unit to eliminate the possibility that that's where the freeze is. The disassemble the powerhead and see what you find. Nothing worse than freeing up a motor only to have it grenade itself due to a rusty bearing seizing up while the motor is running. If the motor is otherwise as nice as you say, it's worth the time to do it right. I think I have a good crank and some rods kicking around if needed...

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help. I followed the frozen motor advise to the letter, and she is running as good as new. I truly thimk this motor has less than 10 hours total time, based on how clean the internal parts are. Even the impeller looks brand new, but I put a new one in anyway.

meyerboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

never have tried, but will later today.

Rick.

Captain

Hey that's wonderful news. Always glad to hear when an old motor re-in-lists. Rick.