What is a whales tail?

lee74carlson

Cadet
I was told to put one of these on my boat. What is it and where would I go to get one?<br />1996 2050 Bayliner 350 5.7L I/O Alfa One<br />Lee

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is a whales tail?

Its a plate that bolts to the anti ventalation plate (most folks call it a cavation plate) above the prop. There are several advantages to running one but the main one is that it allows a higher X dimention. Unfortunately with an I/O its a lot of work to raise the outdrive and motor. On an outboard its real easy.<br /><br />The tails are meant to be run slightly above the surface of the water to provide stability and lift. When run under the surface it may do more harm for performance than good. <br /><br />With your set up the only way to find out is try one.<br /><br />Reading your other post you are borderline overpropped now. Adding a skier is making the motor work much harder obviously. What ever pitch prop you run go down a couple of sizes for skiing and that will relieve the stress on you and the motor.<br /><br />Good luck!

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out Overtons cat. www.overtons.com <br />go to boating>parts>performance>hydrofoil<br />You will see cat. number 28984 for the stingray hydrofoil stabilizer.<br />I have used this for many years and works very well easy to install and when pulling boat is on the plane very quick.

popazog

Cadet

I use an Adventure Marine hydrofoil stabilizer with my 350 5.7 Bravo 1 set up. http://www.adventuremarine.net/stabilizer.cfm <br />I found that it does help with hole shot and reduced porposing, however it drops my top end a bit. This particular model is designed to operate just below the surface and incorperates a<br />12° trim-tab bend down on the trailing 1 inch to create lift rather than the thicker "wing" design found on other products. The manufacturer states that drag is considerably less with there product.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

These devices work very well...but a few words of caution. In working well there is a fair amount of stress transferred to the "cavitation plate", attach the device as far forward (if one piece) as possible, to get to the meatiest portion of the lower unit plate. Make sure the device rests flat on the plate to transfer the stress as evenly as possible. Grind down the device flat at each attachment hole if there is any raised area around the hole. Next...BEFORE LAUNCHING...raise and lower, left and right the drive to be certain the device clears all obstructions on the transom, like ladders, ski harnesses, ropes etc.<br /><br />Last year I installed a new telescoping ladder...unfortunately did not check clearance and the "fin" caught the ladder and snapped a portion of the "cavitation plate off the lower unit. Also, a neighbor experienced fatigue (breakege) on his lower unit as a result of mounting the device too close to the edge of the cavitation plate. I am considering 2-piece plates so that they can be mounted forward on a heftier part of the cav plate and stay out of the way on my ladder, etc.<br /><br />They do work well........

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

One thing I have a concern about is how sharp the thing is. If a swimmer comes up to the ladder they're gonna get cut pretty bad when they come in contact with it.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No need to be any more concern about the safety factor of the fin than your outdrive. Most are hard rubber devices that are no sharper than edges of your drive.

Capt Ken

Commander

OOPs, thought this topic was talking about a former girlfriend.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Shouldn't need a whale's tale if you've got the right prop.<br /><br />And the right prop might also help you outrun any ex-girlfriends.

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Device is safe and good to use as I have the right prop for my rig, it still improves the hole shot, quicker to the plane. It's been on for years without problem.