Bottom of skeg broken off

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I didn't notice at the time of purchase but the PO busted a little chunk off the skeg. The picture isn't my boat but the missing piece of skeg is almost identical except mine is a clean straight break where this one curved in.

With this being broken like this will it have a NOTICEABLE impact on the handling and/or performance of the boat? If so what will the impact be? I am trying to determine if it is worth the cost to fix it or leave it as is. I've already forgot to trim up once when exiting the launch but I realized it right away.

theboatpix004.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Bottom of skeg broken off

With this being broken like this will it have a NOTICEABLE impact on the handling and/or performance of the boat? If so what will the impact be? I am trying to determine if it is worth the cost to fix it or leave it as is. I've already forgot to trim up once when exiting the launch but I realized it right away.

Probably not, my nephew just broke off 2/3 of his skeg, took it out today, worked just fine. three options, 1) one of the glue on/screw on skeg guards, 2) drop the lower and take it to your local prop shop and have them weld a new piece on, 3) forgetaboutit. Personally, next time I dropped the lower for a off season impeller change I would take it to the prop shop for a fix (actually did that this spring). Good luck.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

it'll be fine. When I got my boat, it had NO skeg...didn't notice any issues with the handling.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

They make a SS skeg repair. It's not that expensive (~$60). They look better than a broken one.

Or, you can cut it to a clean line, smooth it with a file (it's only aluminum) and repaint it black.

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

the purpose of the skeg going that deep is to protect the prop.... no other purpose, so you just need to be mindful

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds good guys. I will leave it as is for now. I really don't think it's hurting anything at all.

Eventually I might get a skeggard but I don't think it's necesarry at this point I would rather spend the money on a different prop perhaps.