Temporary throttle cable, How to??????

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A friend of mine has a quicksilver shifter that is worn out. It will not allow for full throttle, and at any moment feels like it could break. If this occurs over the July 4th weekend, how can we rig a temp setup to get up by. I would like to advise him to use the current shifter for just shifting, and use temp one to run the throttle.

45Auto

Commander
Re: Temporary throttle cable, How to??????

1) Take the original throttle cable off the carb. Leave the return spring attached.

2) Tie a string where the cable was on the carb. He may have to run it around a bracket or something to get the pull in the right direction.

3) Have your friend hold the other end of the string in his left hand. Pull it to go faster, let go of it for idle.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is a great idea as an emergency. Is there a way to get a $20 hardware store cable to work for a short while? I wish I was near it to look that is why I am asking. It is a typical merc 305 with alpha one.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. IMHO

nitrosteve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take the ten bucks your going to invest in a cable that could cause you to crash, and give it to the guy who gives you a lift back to the ramp. :)

Bondo

Staff member

That is a great idea as an emergency. Is there a way to get a $20 hardware store cable to work for a short while? I wish I was near it to look that is why I am asking. It is a typical merc 305 with alpha one.

Ayuh,... If there Was,...

Everybody'd be doin' it Everytime....:rolleyes:

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where there's a will there's a way...

I like 45 Auto's response...easy solution under controlled conditions.

he's just trying to get back to the docks not a voyage...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well no failure. Now onto helping him replace the throttle assembly. Any particualr source to get a genuine quicksilver one so that we do not need to modify it? Would rather like it to be factory style.