Garmin gmap card

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Garmin gmap card

Try eBay, stouffer.

It would violate our no-soliciting rule to ask members to sell you one.

stouffer

Cadet

Sorry,
I have a buddy who has the same one I need. I've heard there is a way to burn an original card to a new blank one?

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry,
I have a buddy who has the same one I need. I've heard there is a way to burn an original card to a new blank one?

Which would be a violation of copyright laws. You do know that it costs them (the manufacturer) a lot of money to digitize maps as well as updating them? Couple that with the fact that not everyone needs them so with a limited market they do need to recover their costs. I'm not raggin' on you but just asking you to consider the fact that if you want something you shouldn't be stealing it. It costs $50.00 to update my GPS. I could go online and find a "copy" but I find it worth the money to feel good about not having stolen it.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

I inherited a GPSMap180 that uses obsolete cards. My first reaction was to complain about Garmin's perceived "planned obsolescence" strategy: They force you to buy a new product when they stop supporting an existing product. I mean, really ... what would it cost them to maintain a small stock of maps on those cards, or sub it out to a jobber to fulfill the niche?

Then I started thinking: The technology is 12 years old. Card memory at the time was what, 64meg? Once the card is filled you can't stuff any more info on it. Same with the screen resolution, processor, firmware, positioning accuracy, and everything else associated with the device. (Did WAAS exist in 1998?)

Meantime, people started to demand higher resolutions and pretty colors on the screens. More accuracy. Internet upgradability. A database that includes the location of every McDonald's in the world. ;)

Garmin doesn't plan to obsolete their products. Time and the market do it for them.

Gotta go now and see if I can get my buggy whip repaired. :)