If I had a blown headgasket....?

temperedtim

Seaman
I know I have water leaking from up under the manifold....but its soo high right on or above the ridge before the head. Of course its all rusty under there including the head from the water spray so I cant really see where the water is actually coming from since its above the "ridge" where it flattens out before the head. Ill get the manifold off to see exactly but Im a bit paranoid that the head gasket is blown now. It doesnt appear that I have any water in my oil. Ive run it 2 days for at least a few hours on brand new oil and it hasnt gotten milky or risen on the dip stick and there is no white "gunk" on the inside of my oil filler cap. Engine runs normal temps sitting or at speed and there is no spitting or sputtering. Is possible to have a blown head gasket that only leaks water outward...? Or is more likely a cracked block...just high on the block...?:confused:

temperedtim

Seaman
Re: If I had a blown headgasket....?

ya I do have another thread....kinda. This thread is more aimed at "if" its a headgasket...the other is more "aimed" at if its a cracked block LOL...:) If itis a cracked block Im going to try the old JB weld fix. We'll see tomorrow when I get the manifold off. BTW any tricks to that? I can keep the carb and exhaust elbow right on the manifold cant I? I will take pictures for all to see when I get it off....so everyone can tell me I need a new block....ugh.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Last Summer, I had a friend bring a Bayliner over that had a "leak" in his 3.0 up under the manifold. He said he "thought" he forgot to drain the block...........

The 3.0L GM cracks right up there where you cannot see it.

It's not a very good candidate for epoxy fixes because the block-head sealing surface is structural right in that area.

When it cracks it loses some of the structural integrity so your risk of head gasket failure goes WAY up!

I also still have his old manifold laying out in the back in my scrap metal pile too.

USENGINE did give him some core value because they fix those kinds of cracks in the 3.0L blocks.

I helped him swap out his engine and manifold in my shop.....

I think he's pretty diligent about draining his block now....:rolleyes:

temperedtim

Seaman

Well...I didnt winterize this motor...I actually just put it in the boat. See Im a new boat owner, my father handed me his Maxum 18ft bowrider when he blew a bearing for whatever reason. I replaced the motor....the one in the boat now. Runs great, temps are good, etc, but its leaking. Im a bit frustrated having already had motors out of the boat....checking gimbals... lower unit off and on etc. See Im a bit of a perfectionist...hate the thought of even using JB weld, but I cant afford ANOTHER motor right now...next year maybe but not right now....and Im sick of NOT using this boat. Therefore the JB weld "hope" fix will have to do for now. After the fix, what do I look for as far as the headgasket potential failure? If I do JB weld the crack Im not causing more issue than just letting it leak right...as far as the headgasket is concerned? With the boat running....and strong...4600 RPM wide open without even a sputter.....actually wants to go to 5000 rpm but I dont let it... idles at 700-800 rpm nice and smooth. Its hard to think about trying to fix a motor that is running so well right now. But I cant have a cracked block and at least not want to "try" and fix it. Im just paranoid Ill make it worse and be pissed I even tried. Ive never winterized a boat since last winter my boat didnt even have a motor in it and the outdrive was sitting in my heated garage....but after seeing all these post and my surrent problem I assure you...if this JB weld thing works... or if I ever buy another boat I will take the winterization 100 percent serious....or pay someone who I can hold responsible (legally) for future problem. Oh and FYI when I found my motor leaking I went and checked my "other" motor with the smoke bearing.....leaking from the same exact spot....hmmmmm

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

You can try it. It has worked (sorta) for other people. If you do blow a head gasket, you'll probably know it.

Good luck!

Rick