1958 Evinrude Fastwin - Odd Colors

RSchendel

Seaman
I just acquired a 1958 18 HP Fastwin. I noticed that parts of the transom mount are not the same color. The picture is below. Can someone tell me which is the correct color. I assume that both sides should be the same color.

Attachments

• Evinrude 18.jpg
    Evinrude 18.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1958 Evinrude Fastwin - Odd Colors

Both transom mounts should be the dark blue color.
Original paint, medallions, decals can be found at nymarine.ca
Nice motor,
JBJ

Attachments

• boat pictures with Larsen 091.jpg
    boat pictures with Larsen 091.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhhhhh, what a good ol' can of Krylon will do.:D

Yes, go to nymarine and get you the factory color, plus the decals for that old gem.:cool:

RSchendel

Seaman

What I found really interesting is that the right side part that is the lighter blue has the model/serial number plate. It does not look like it has been painted. I suspected that perhaps there was a mix of parts from different motors, but the model/serial number on the plate matched the info on the powerhead under the cowl.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That's good. I was noticing that there were different colors. The 58 was a darker, richer blue, than the 57.

I have a 57 Fastwin, that I'm about to restore. I sold a 58 about a week ago. These are very reliable motors and easy to start. My ol' 57 started on the first pull, last night and that was after sitting in storage for 6 months.:D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The fact that your plate is still intact and the numbers match the block means that whomever did the replacement (not uncommon) swapped over the plate, too (uncommon!). Probably a dealer..

RSchendel

Seaman

So, it sounds like the ligher blue part of the clamp could be from a '57 and the plate was moved. I tend to agree with this conclusion.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

That's good. I was noticing that there were different colors. The 58 was a darker, richer blue, than the 57.

I have a 57 Fastwin, that I'm about to restore. I sold a 58 about a week ago. These are very reliable motors and easy to start. My ol' 57 started on the first pull, last night and that was after sitting in storage for 6 months.:D

ditto, I have a '55 and it's the light color, I'm sure someone just pulled them off an earlier model

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, the 55 - 57 I believe had the same colors. 58 was darker. 57 was what they call "polychromatic blue" and the 58 had the "commodore blue" I actually like the color of the 58, myself. 53 and 54 had polychromatic blue, but I think it could have been a slightly different shade, than the later color.

As far as the transome clamps go, those things are interchangable with motors up into the 60's and possibly later.. Lower units are interchangable up to 1976. Powerheads are interchangable through 1958 only, because of the cooling system set up with the thermostat in 59 and later.:cool: