Adding quickstart?

mmurray70

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 65hp evinrude that sometimes stalls when putting it in gear when cold. I dont have the quickstart feature, which seems like a great idea. Just wondering if i could update my engine if i picked up a CDI and temp sensor from a newer model? Any idea?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Adding quickstart?

I guess the quickstart feature would enable you to put the motor in gear while it's revved up; the result would be a shattered gear set for sure, eventually.

surely you can find something useful to do for that 3 or 6 minutes?

mmurray70

Seaman Apprentice

Does it make it rev that much higher? I was thinking it was just enough to maintain a decent idle when cold. Mainly thinking about launching it off the trailer more efficiently. There are some rocks alongside my launch site and its better to back around them under power then just walking along shore with the bow line.

So back to the question will it work or not?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

As was said, you do not want to shift into gear ar 1100+ RPM, which is what Quickstart gives you. You can do the same thing by using the throttle-only setting on the control, setting it to 1500RPM and then back the throttle down to engage the gear and then quickly slam it into gear. Same damage will be done, but cheaper than buying new Parts.

BTW - New gearcases are available aftermarket. You will likely need one.

Can you warm the motor up at home, or before you launch?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Quick Start would require a stator, power pack, and temp sensor.
The smaller engines did not have Quick Start.
This engine has 5 service bulletins that effect cooling system ,calibration change of carbuator ,
and timing. See dealer for bulletins.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Does it make it rev that much higher? I was thinking it was just enough to maintain a decent idle when cold. Mainly thinking about launching it off the trailer more efficiently. There are some rocks alongside my launch site and its better to back around them under power then just walking along shore with the bow line.

So back to the question will it work or not?

sorry I didn't have a better answer. I hate it when I ask "how do I" and the answer is "don't". I also hate to idle on the trailer when people are waiting.

I find that warming it up on the muffs before I leave the house helps; if I'm leaving before dawn I do it the night before -- seems to help too though I can't say why.

I also find that when I've got it tuned up and running at it's best, it's ready to go in the time it takes me to unhook the bow line.