Do hose clamp types matter?

bigboat606

Seaman
The manual for my 1987 200 hp Evinrude states to only use the plastic (or metal ring) squeeze with pliers type of hose clamps on the fuel lines. The maunal specifically states to not use the worm gear type clamp that are tightened with a screw or nut driver. The parts-person at the marine store almost laughted at me when I asked for the squeeze type of clamps. He claimed they were not as good as the metal worm gear type. Does anyone know if the type of fuel line hose clamps really matter?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do hose clamp types matter?

Do you put your trust in "the parts-person" or the folks who designed your engine?

One of the reason for using the factory clamps is air. Many of the non factory designs will allow air to get sucked into the lines - leads to a rough running engine.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would guess it's because a lot of people over tighten and cut the hose or as said before, create air leaks. On good pliable hose the squeeze type clamps work just fine and prevent over tightening. I have never had one leak except when trying to cut back and salvage old hose and it is to hard for the clamp to work. The plastic type are just strip ties and unless you have the tightening tool it is very hard to get them tight enough.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I'm with F_R. The worm gear type will work fine on larger diameter hoses, but on hoses as small as these, I would use either the sqeeze type, or the racheting plastic type

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Didn't even realize they made those ratchet type clamps, pretty cool. I just figured they meant strip ties as I have seen several new motors (and car engines) with strip ties for clamps.

I'm gonna have to order me some of those ratchet type though.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

This type of hose clamp is not bad on small diameters

Mini-F%20Clamp%20Galv%20Steel.gif

Neater, the crimp types ( available with 1 or 2 ears ) but not re-useable of course

2%20ear.jpg

I agree worm types are not good on small diameters.

If you use plastic esp electric cable tie wraps be sure they are UV resistant.