Shop Vac scallops

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Headed up to Homosassa today to check out the scallops...few and far between. Plus they were all pretty small.

Two of us got 5 gallons ( 4 of us were in the boat) in a few hours...and then headed back to Masaryktown. I broke out the 'ol shop-vac and it made quick business of scraping out the guts...you can see in pics 9 - 10 - 11 what we had, what we did and what was left!
My buddy Paul marinated them up with mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, basil, capers, white wine salt and pepper. Mixed them into some pasta. Had some salad, fresh garlic bread and ate all those little morsels up...Yummy!

http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll422/triumphrick/homosassa scallops june 2010/

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shop Vac scallops

Nice going Triumphrick. And that is pretty ingenious use of the shop vac. When we visited New Zealand last year, we noticed that the way they cook and scallops uses not only the muscle, but a big part of the guts package too, which we weren't used to. Didn't taste bad at all actually.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Nice going Triumphrick. And that is pretty ingenious use of the shop vac. When we visited New Zealand last year, we noticed that the way they cook and scallops uses not only the muscle, but a big part of the guts package too, which we weren't used to. Didn't taste bad at all actually.

Hmmmmm....I don't know if I could make some scallop soup with all the residue in the bottom of the shop vac......uhhh...nevermind...:eek:

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for sharing that.
I'm imagining using a shop vac on brook trout. :)

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for sharing that.
I'm imagining using a shop vac on brook trout. :)

OK..just want ya'll to know that cleaning these little suckers can be a pain. And if not done just right, that little thumbnail sized piece of scallop meat gets torn and discarded with the viscera...so this is a real breakthrough. I can't imagine your brook trout to be such a bother to clean....:D

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good gosh, who cleans the shop vac! I don't think a raccoon can fit in the hose to clean it.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

They were very fresh and tasty!

And I suck up about a half gallon of bleach water which is then used to slosh around inside it. Cleans up nicely!