Engine over heated wont start

BaliHigh

Recruit
Ok folks any help is great help.

I recently aquired and hooked up my 1983 evinrude 35hp and had it running just great. Took it out for a short circle before i realized it was over heating. Smoke billowed from the engine cover. After it cooled down and i got it home i tried starting it the next day. Now it won't turn over.
Any Ideas???
thanks ahead of time for all the info!!!

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine over heated wont start

Could be seized, parts melted together or expanded & locked into each other. You may need to tear it down to figure it out. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you may now have an extra anchor.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Remove the spark plugs and see if you can turn it over by hand. It may have seized up which is not good. If you can turn it over by hand troubleshoot the starting circuit. After you get that fixed do a compression check.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

the pros will chime in on this for you..but did you check the wires to see if any melted...did you try to turn the flywheel by hand to see if its locked up...

I hope its ok..I have same motor and it is a great motor....

little hint..any time you get a new motor...always check the water pump..even if the guy said it was done last year...2 hours work can save you lots of money in the long run...

and the lower end oil to see if you have water intrusion...

always check your pisser for water when boating..takes a sec to look back...

Al