Help Garmin 126 problem

flatshead

Cadet
I am a newbie and I have a problem with my old garmin 126. I was sick for a few years and I am now getting back to fishing. I bought a 1980 Lucraft with a Honda 25 hp. I found the garmin packed away in my garage. I lost the cables to it so I ordered power and data cables. I am confused about how to hook it up. I just noticed that they also sell just a power cord that you just plug into a lighter plug. I have no experience in electronics and since being sick my $ situation has gone down the toilet. So I just need a little advice on fixing it properly and not screwing anything else up. Can I just buy the lighter plug and plug it in and it will work or do I have to wire the data wires to something. Way beyond my pay grade . Cornfused as hell. Thank you ahead of time for any info. I just want to fish.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Help Garmin 126 problem

NO! do not just plug any old cigarette adapter into it until you know what input power it needs, some of those cigarette adapters have various voltage resitors built into them, if it requires 12V then fine, just make sure, it probably is 12V being that old, but some of the newer ones operate on 9volt cigarette adapters.

flatshead

Cadet

Source: 10-40 vDC. This is what it states on the specs. The cord is made for the Garmin 126. It has a 7 prong plug. Will it damage the unit if I hook it up directly from the lighter plug to the unit. The other plug is for computer hookup some how. I didn't think this model had those capabilities. Still mentally discombobulated . Thank you for helping me out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Before you go spending any money contact Garmin to see if the unit will even work. A couple of "birds" have been decommissioned in the last couple years that required units to have their software updated to continue operation. A lot of those old units where simply rendered obsolete in the process.