Dodge Factory Receiver Hitch almost fell off!!

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off my truck is a 2005 Dodge 1500 LoneStar that i bought new with the factory tow package.

On Saturday we were about to head to the lake and when i hitched the boat up i noticed something didnt look right. It was at a weird angle.

So i unhitch and get under the truck to check it out and find that my receiver hitch system is only being held on by 1 bolt!!!

Im not sure how i never noticed this befor but my hitch is not an actual receiver system that goes around spare tire and bolts to the frame. My hitch has two bolts on the bumper and two more up underneath on the bumper mounts and thats it!

I cannot believe dodge would install something like this. I have used this hitch to pull some very heavy hay trailers and stuff and I think im very lucky that i never had this thing break off. This is just one more addition to the list ive made the last 4 years about why i will never buy another dodge.

I bought new bolts and nuts and fixed it but i definitely plan on getting a real hitch put on as soon as i get the money.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Dodge Factory Receiver Hitch almost fell off!!

What you have is not the "factory tow package". You've got the crappy bolt on class 3 receiver that the dealer probabally installed. It is a Mopar piece, but they never came on the trucks from the factory

The factory tow package is a class 4 full receiver hitch

rlc3854

Seaman Apprentice

rrkyle, how about a picture of the Gran Tranio:D

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I cannot believe dodge would install something like this. I have used this hitch to pull some very heavy hay trailers and stuff and I think im very lucky that i never had this thing break off. This is just one more addition to the list ive made the last 4 years about why i will never buy another dodge.

lol... It doesn't surprise me at all.... Dodge makes the Yugo of pickups. My boss has a 2010 Ram and already ripped the tailgate up loading an ATV... :eek:

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off i Agree I hate my dodge and wish i would have never strayed from ford. I definitely would have saved money by now had i got a ford,

Ive been through 2 motors 6 Powersteering pumps and a tranny in less than 60k. And i DO NOT abuse my truck it is a 2WD pavement roller. Just a POS.

Hey RLC hows this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33aOV1QcNx8

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its not just dodge. But yes they are getting pretty cheap. My friend bought a new 2010 chevy, duramax, allison, 4 door, dually. He woke up to find all 4 door moldings laying in the driveway. He first thought someone vandalised it. Nope, GM used crap tape.

Anyways, it sounds like a bumper type hitch. Rip that off and get a good one from reese, drawtite, etc.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I guess someone needs to step in Dodges corner. My last 3 trucks have been Dodges, 3/4 ton quad cabs, 2 with hemi's. I've yet to have a problem with any of them. I've had Chevys too. Granted, Chevy has more creature comforts, but, I still like my Dodge. Sorry to hear you guys are having problems... Like oldjeep said, you can thank your dealer for the cheap hitch. Had nothing to do with Dodge....

captkevin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2002 Ram Quad cab - hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Have 106k & only work done to it has been maintenance - it still has the original battery. Truck runs like the day it was new.

Have considered buying new truck & it would be another Dodge hands down. Looked at Chevy - styling just not as nice. Like the looks of the Fords but have several friends have rust issues with them at 4 years old - so I'm gonna pass.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2002 Ram Quad cab - hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Have 106k & only work done to it has been maintenance - it still has the original battery. Truck runs like the day it was new.

Have considered buying new truck & it would be another Dodge hands down. Looked at Chevy - styling just not as nice. Like the looks of the Fords but have several friends have rust issues with them at 4 years old - so I'm gonna pass.

You may feel that it is very successful to get so much life out of your battery, but you would be wrong. Your more expensive alternator is trying very hard to keep that "over the hill" battery alive. The lead plates can only work for so long, no matter the quality of the brand. I replace batteries every six years, due to the cost of alternators and the cost of a surprise on the road somewhere. Just food for thought....:)

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think all dodges are bad. Every now and then someone gets a lemon. It just seems like from all the research ive done that dodges seem to have more lemons than the others.

My biggest problem is dodge dealerships unwillingness to make it right.

My last power steering pump was only in for 4 months. When it failed i was 987 miles over the warranty and they refused to fix it. Even though it was the 6th pump so its obviously not my fault they built an inferior product.

I have dreams of buying a new truck without trading this one in and lighting it on fire sticking the gas pedal and letting it run into the dealership in the midle of the night!! But id rather not go to jail so its unlikely to happen.

oldjeep

Admiral

I've got an 09 Hemi crewcab - first Dodge I've owned and it's the best truck I've owned so far. 26K miles on it the first year, towing for about 5K of that

vhuevos7

Seaman

I have dreams of buying a new truck without trading this one in and lighting it on fire sticking the gas pedal and letting it run into the dealership in the midle of the night!! But id rather not go to jail so its unlikely to happen.

You reminded me of an old discount tire add where the little old lady threw the tire through the front window of the store LOL

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha she would be my hero!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Bought new? Does the paperwork specifically say it's got the "factory tow package"? Sounds like it's your dealer who should get the blame, and quite possibly an earful..maybe from an attorney.

First, they stole probably $500-$1000 bucks (maybe a lot more) from you by selling you a cheap bumper hitch in place of the factory tow package hitch.

Second, apparently they used substandard hardware or didn't torque properly when installing it...then again, it may be that you've been overloading this hitch, thinking it was the real deal. In any case, they put your life at risk.

Third, what else was in that supposed factory tow package that you should have but don't? Suspension upgrades? Bigger brakes? Certain gearing? Tranny upgrades? Trans cooler? Is there a factory option code sticker somewhere that lists out the options? Not only have they put you and everyone around you in extreme danger over the past five years with the misrepresented hitch, you may have been accelerating the truck's demise by overloading it if you were counting on it actually having such upgrades as part of a non-existent "tow package," and the resale value will be less than expected if the tow package is not there.

If you have paperwork showing "tow package," and there are elements of your truck (brakes, gears, suspension, trans, code sticker, what have you) demonstrating that you do not have a "tow package," you should be demanding either a full battery of upgrade parts installed at dealer expense (unlikely), a full refund for the difference in original 2005 value between tow- and non-tow package (which I assume could be substantial...though also unlikely), or (most likely and perhaps best) some kind of trade-up with very little or no money out of your pocket that puts you into the kind of truck you originally paid for. If they don't make right, it may be worth a call to an attorney. You've been ripped off.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yep, if you had the factory tow package its a class IV sandwiched between the bed and frame. you actually have to take bed bolts out to remove it if you want to. sounds like either not the tow package, or someone took it off (which is a PITA) and put on a bolt on class III Reese hitch or similar.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Youn know what i have been considering getting an attorney and im almost certain the paperwork says factory tow package which includes better shocks and brakes.

Im gonna dig that out this could be the nail in the coffin!!!

oldjeep

Admiral

Bought new? Does the paperwork specifically say it's got the "factory tow package"? Sounds like it's your dealer who should get the blame, and quite possibly an earful..maybe from an attorney.

First, they stole probably $500-$1000 bucks (maybe a lot more) from you by selling you a cheap bumper hitch in place of the factory tow package hitch.

Second, apparently they used substandard hardware or didn't torque properly when installing it...then again, it may be that you've been overloading this hitch, thinking it was the real deal. In any case, they put your life at risk.

Third, what else was in that supposed factory tow package that you should have but don't? Suspension upgrades? Bigger brakes? Certain gearing? Tranny upgrades? Trans cooler? Is there a factory option code sticker somewhere that lists out the options? Not only have they put you and everyone around you in extreme danger over the past five years with the misrepresented hitch, you may have been accelerating the truck's demise by overloading it if you were counting on it actually having such upgrades as part of a non-existent "tow package," and the resale value will be less than expected if the tow package is not there.

If you have paperwork showing "tow package," and there are elements of your truck (brakes, gears, suspension, trans, code sticker, what have you) demonstrating that you do not have a "tow package," you should be demanding either a full battery of upgrade parts installed at dealer expense (unlikely), a full refund for the difference in original 2005 value between tow- and non-tow package (which I assume could be substantial...though also unlikely), or (most likely and perhaps best) some kind of trade-up with very little or no money out of your pocket that puts you into the kind of truck you originally paid for. If they don't make right, it may be worth a call to an attorney. You've been ripped off.

Bah, waste of time contacting an attorney - especially 5 years later. Never seen a factory tow package on a half ton that cost more than $500 total.

Not sure what came with the package on an 05, but chances are all it would be is a class 4 and maybe an extra tranny cooler. On an 09 it's just the class 4 since all of the trucks come with the big cooler.

Even the girlly bumper supported Mopar hitch is a class 3 rated for 5000lbs. The factory class 4 is rated for 6000/12000WD

This sounds like what you have - costs about $120
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/imagehandler.ashx?id=14585

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en...Id=1002&GroupId=2017&pc=52629&SubGroupId=3055

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Youn know what i have been considering getting an attorney and im almost certain the paperwork says factory tow package which includes better shocks and brakes.

Im gonna dig that out this could be the nail in the coffin!!!

email dodge or go to your dealer with yoru vin# and get a factory build sheet. thats a good place to start, shows everything your truck came off the line with. my build sheet is 3 pages long, i learned alot about my truck.

and my tow package has 3.92 LSD gears, HD cooling package, ext. trans cooler, class IV hitch, 7-pin wiring plug and i think they all come with 4 wheel discs nowadays.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I had a 99 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 and loved that truck for towing..so i guess not all Dodges are bad.

I would junk that hitch in a minute and buy a hitch that bolts to the frame rails.
That is the way my Chevy hitch is and i have yanked tree stumps out with it..:D

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best truck I ever owned was a 2001 Dodge 1500 4x4 with OffRoad and Towing packages, 5.9 liter engine. That truck would pull a house. I traded it in when gas went up to $1.89 a gallon and I though that was waaayy too much to pay for a 14 MPG truck.