Lake Mead raising entrance fees...

fishrdan

Admiral
LMNRA (Lake Mead, Lake Mohave) is going to increase their fees in the near future. I don't know about the rest of you , but I wasn't happy when they started the fees back in 2000 and now that they are being increased...

(I hope this is not crossing the boundary of being political, I didn't think so.)

They have a section in their website for comments and here is what I posted.

This is just another TAX, as was the original fee structure put in place back in 2000. I oppose any fees to use our parks and lakes.

LMNRA was able to function, build facilities and hire employees before the year 2000, without fees accessed for entrance to the park, and the park should be able to do so in the future without fees. The parks main infrastructure was built well before the fees (TAXES) were put in effect, and to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen a huge improvement within the park the last 10 years.

I often wonder where the fees I pay for my boats and vehicles are going. I'm not seeing major improvements in the park, just a lot of maintenance work. Maintenance work, that for some strange reason, was able to be completed in years past without taxing each visitor. The only real improvements I've seen are the fishing docks and launch ramp extensions, small improvement. Willow Beach has a nice improvement in progress, but in this economy, was it really prudent to spend $20,000,000 ($20 million) dollars on a facility that was still functional? While at the same time, the road to Willow Beach is ridden with pot holes and the launch ramps lower end is still buried with sediment from a flood that happened years ago. The Lake Mead entrance stations and employees to staff them are a complete waste of money, useless and unnecessary. If LMNRA insists on fees (TAXES) then have the tags available at the marina stores, vending machine or pay envelopes at every launch ramp or entrance. Do away with the employees at the entrance stations and put this money into enforcement in the parking lots.

It seems like a futile attempt to collect fees when only 1/2 of the entrances to LMNRA are open 1/3 of the day. I would venture to say that there is a lot of traffic into the park that does not pay a fee, and LMNRA should look into capturing this revenue, opposed to raising the fees on the people who are currently paying. I eventually purchase tags each year when I run through an "open" entrance station, but this is normally around the middle of the year. I enter the park many times through out the year without having current tags and I'm sure there are a lot of other people who do the same. I visit the park at least 30 times a year and have yet to see anyone enforcing the tags, except for the entrance stations... I would suggest ticketing people who do not have current tags, for the amount of the tag and then send them the tag. $20 for vehicle, $40 for vehicle and trailer, and with the paid ticket the person would receive their tags. Or if the person buys current tags, the ticket would be waived. People who are only in the park for a day and get ticketed would have to pay for a year pass, too bad, so sad, LMNRA just generated more revenue.

There has to be a better way for LMNRA to generate revenue, besides raising the fees all ready imposed on it's "PAYING" visitors.

As I stated before, I'm opposed to any fees at all, but if fees are to be collected at all, they should be collected on 100% of the people entering the park. What would LMNRA rather have, 50% or a $30 fee or 100% of a $20 fee, fees on 1/2 of people entering the park, or fees on 100% of the people entering the park? I do not think the current fees need to be increased, but they do need to be collected on all people who enter the park.

I entered the park on business travel and was asked by the entrance attendant if I was doing business in the park. I said no and was charged to drive through the park. OK that's fine, but why not charge all vehicles that access the park? They drive on the same roads and use a portion of the facilities. If they are doing business in the park they most likely enter/exit the park more often than visitors. Marina employees, vendors, maintenance crews. They use the roads heavily and should pay for their fair share of the parks maintenance.

Regards,
(name respectfully withheld)

The comments link closes 6-30-2010 at midnight, so you have a short time to leave input.

http://www.nps.gov/lake/parknews/public-comment-sought-on-proposed-recreation-fee-increases-for-lake-mead-national-recreation-area.htm

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lake Mead raising entrance fees...

wow...$40 a year was steep enough for me. i thought it was cool that after they started charging to enter you could see noticeable, large re-paving projects being done that they coulda left alone though. and the ramps keep getting extended, so i keep telling myself thats where my fee money goes and i feel better :D

I dont think they need to raise the fees, unless they are raising the water level with that $$ haha.

gonefishie

Commander

We have problem with collecting at the bigger lakes with multiple entrances too. The ones without problem only have one way in and out. They implemented a boat tag several years ago. If you're on state owned property you're required to have one, no tag = ticket. Our waters are small so enforcement is not that tough.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the test for whether a post is political is to ask whether it would make you angry if someone posted an opinion that was different from yours. I'd like to respond to this, but I'm certain it would cause a big fight so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

fishrdan

Admiral

I pay $60/year for LMNRA tags as I have 2 vehicles and 2 boats, guess I should be happy they give you a 50% discount once you have purchased the first tag. If (I guess I should say when) the new fees go into affect the minimum I'll have to pay if $90, maybe $120 if they don't offer the discounts anymore.

Too many entrances to LMNRA is a big problem. There are at least 7 paved roads to the Lake Mead with only 3 fee stations (I think), and 4 paved roads to Lake Mohave with only 1 fee station. Even though I'm not for the fees, I bet they could double their revenue if they took measures to ensure everyone paid. A big sign at each entrance saying non-stickered vehicles WILL be ticketed and enforcement along with it would work. It might not work at first, but once the word got around that you WILL be ticketed if you don't have a sticker.... Just make it easy for people to buy the stickers, stores, vending machines, whatever,,, as it certainly is not easy to get them on "on the fly" right now.

I guess it's not a political thread then. I'm not going to take offense to anyone's view on the fees. Just don't say you are in favor of the fees... :eek::D (just kidding)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

what gets me is the booths are only open from like sun up to sundown, then you can just roll on in there like nothin. and when you leave they dont ever stop to see if you paid or not. I just spent almost $80 for my registration and fishing license, and its kindof a bummer knowing that i have to spend another $40 when i get there. it wont stop me though!:D

fishrdan

Admiral

100% agree with you red, I think the booths are open 8-5 (maybe longer?) and I have even seen them closed all day during the winter. I would venture to say the booths are only open about 25% of the time, though I don't know what percentage of lake traffic flows through during those times.

25% of the time and about 1/3 of the entrances covered... I went an entire year once without buying lake stickers as I never ran through an open booth :rolleyes:

There is a way to buy lake stickers at any time, but you have to send in a form with a check/money order. So about 1-2 weeks to get the stickers? Not good if you plan a trip on short notice.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

on a side note, im really contemplating on goin up to echo either sat. or sunday...i got 3 days off and thats kindof rare lately. but i dont know if i have the patience to deal with all of it...lol

fishrdan

Admiral

4th of July at Lake Mead :eek::eek::eek:

Honestly, I would go for it as dead as it was a couple weeks ago. I think I saw about 20 trailers in the parking lot Sat/Sun. Certainly a one heck of a lot less traffic than 5-6 years ago when they hotel was shuttling people to the parking lot past the rangers station, friggin nightmare crowds.