intermittent reverse

tomdc

Cadet
I am looking at at 1975 Sylvan 19' deck boat. It has a 302 V8, OMC I/O power train, electric shift. The owner said last year sometimes it would not shift into reverse and sometimes it would. Any ideas as to what could cause this? He is asking $2500.00 as is. The boat is in excellent shape other than the shifting problem. Am I asking for trouble? Does this indicate there could be other problems? :confused: Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.<br />Tom

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: intermittent reverse

51tommyd,yes you are looking at trouble,walk away-no, run!

tomdc

Cadet

what do think if the shifting problem was repaired prior to buying?

codyandamber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it could be as simple as the shift cable... What he means by run is the o/d may be worn out. the price to me seems a little high anyway unless there is something spectacular about the boat. the price of a new/used/ outdrive or just repair costs ain't no joke. there are plenty of boats out there.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you are looking for a cheap deal on boat,make sure it has a mercruiser in it.if an old merc needs any major repairs it will stay fixed if done properly and the older merc parts are still easy to come by ,new or used. omc stringer mount are just troublesome,less used parts available ,and less people that know how to fix them.

Bondo

Staff member

$2500..... That's $2499. More than it's Worth....

BlackSmoke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

51tommyd,<br />The intermittent failure sounds like a short in the reverse circuit, which could be in wire from shifter to drive, or solenoid within drive. I'd check electrical connections, first. Mechanically, reverse is the most expensive lower unit repair because everything else has to come out to get to solenoid and spring.<br />What the other guys have said is somewhat true, parts and mechanics are not terribly common, but you can get these fixed, you just have to find someone willing to work on them. In my first season, reverse went out, upper unit gear failed, and impellor had to be replaced. All told I spent about $1,000 for all this. Has run great since the repairs, but time will tell. Talk to mechanics who work on them.

tomdc

Cadet

Thanks for all your input......I walked away from this deck boat..... I am still looking for a deck boat that I can afford. maybe one doesnt exist :( .. or what do you think of a pontoon with a 75 HP or larger engine... lounging and skiing/tubing should be okay with a big enough motor??<br />Thanks again..... :)