reverse gear clicking noise

courthouseguy

Recruit
I have a johnson 150 outboard 2000 model and when i put it in reverse it just makes a clicking or grinding noise, but the forward gear works fine anyone got suggestions for me?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: reverse gear clicking noise

Check the lower unit oil and see if there is any metal particles in it. Something may have come apart in the lower unit.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You should be able to adjust your shift cable and get rid of that, the clutch dog isn't moving quite far enough to engage the gear.

There is a trunion under the hood on the shift cable(knurled knob) that you can turn adn get this fixxed soon, replacing a clutch is way expensive.

Put the engine in reverse and note which way the shifter moves and just turn the trunion a coupe turns that way till it engages, make sure still have forward and you are good.

courthouseguy

Recruit

You should be able to adjust your shift cable and get rid of that, the clutch dog isn't moving quite far enough to engage the gear.

There is a trunion under the hood on the shift cable(knurled knob) that you can turn adn get this fixxed soon, replacing a clutch is way expensive.

Put the engine in reverse and note which way the shifter moves and just turn the trunion a coupe turns that way till it engages, make sure still have forward and you are good.

thanks alot i will try that and hope it works, i already know how expensive the fix would be

thanks alot i will try that and hope it works, i already know how expensive the fix would be
To be more thorough I'd like to add what I found part of the problem was and how to fix: to also to grab and check your cable's plastic trunnion nut for any excessive back and forth movement in the aluminum pocket that holds the trunnion. If excessive, the nut edges are worn. I found a simple easy fix is to lift the trunnion out of the holder and apply super glue the nut's edge.
Then while wet, sprinkle some baking soda on the wet glue. Then blow it off and repeat the process till you have built up/replaced the worn off square edge with the tough crystal substance this process leaves so the trunnion holds firm.
Also there is a chance the cable is binding/dragging in it's permanent jacket. My throttle cable was(not my shifter). I followed a youtube video, using a compressor and a 3/8" rubber fuel line hose and hose clamps and connection nipple to force air, then wd40, then engine oil through the cable by disconnecting inside the remote control.
So these things can effect how much the cable moves the clutch dog to engage.
I know this thread is old but people still search this info for themselves.
Take care

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I'm always inclined to replace the cable -- ^^Hats off, though, to creativity.