fuel pump issue

lumberjack0070

Recruit
I am new to this forum and just posted all of this in private message, so i am not sure who got it.
I bought a 2002 chaparral 242 sunesta with EFI 305 mercuriser Bravo 3 drive with 97 hrs. Went out this weekend on the lake and it ran fine for about 4 hrs. Stopped to swim about1/2 hour and went to start it and it would not idle good and then finally would not start at all.
Got towed back to the landing and took off the fuel filter and turned the key and nothing came out . So i figured it was the fuel pump. Got home that night and got on to the forum and someone said that if you here the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on , which it does, then you might want to check oil sending switch, I think im saying this right, so i did find the plug on the port side of the engine, and unplugged it. It looked fine so i blew in the plug and plugged it back in. Put the key on and it started dumping fuel all over. Put the fuel filter back on and ran it on my driveway off and on all day Sunday. My question is I dont know if i really fixed anything by doing that?Is there anything i should look for or check?
Sorry about the long post , but was trying to get the boat ready to take to Florida for the 4th of JUly. Just not sure if i feel confident enough to take it>
Would really appreciate any comments or ideas you would have.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Lumberjack:)