the joys of boating

Boheefus

Cadet
I bought my 88 Wellcraft Nova 23XL last season. She ran a little hot, but I primarily operate in under 10' of water, so I chalked it up to a bad impeller and hot water.

Last fall, I discovered that the PO had removed the t-stat in order to maks an obviously overheating engine. I hit the usual suspects, cleaned out the elbows, with some ingenuity and compressed air, added a thermostat, and generally poked around.

Two weeks ago, the temp shot up while running WOT down the creek. Typically it would crawl up at WOT, but that day was different. I got her into dock, without blowing the engine, and hauled her home.

I was convinced that I had sucked up some hydrilla or sand, so I picked up a new impeller. I discovered the actual problem while loosening the lower unit. My water tube (lower to gimbal) had cracked in numerous places, and even had a pencil lead sized hole in it:mad:

Yesterday I pulled the drive unit, checked the check balls, pulled all motor-side hoses to check for obstructions, and I am going to pull the bell housing this evening. I am going to do the drive and shift cable bellows, as well as the gimble bearing, at the same time. I have through hull exhaust, but it used to be a standard through drive exhaust. I am going to see how much of a bear it would be to get the block off plate installed inside the transom to eliminate the need for the exhaust bellows.

Hopefully this was the root of my overheating issues. I am going to test impeller flow once I get the whole shebang back together (which will be Friday or the wife will kill me), and have at it!:p

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: the joys of boating

And exactly what drive system we talking about??????????????

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm guessing he has a Merc 5.7 w/ an Alpha One Gen 1

carcraze

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your not running a block off plate does it still have the Y pipe in it, as I assume it would have water coming in even with the exh bellows on without it?

If you have the Y pipe might be the makings of switchable exhaust, sure wish mine had switchable on it, the twins get a little noisy.

Boheefus

Cadet

If your not running a block off plate does it still have the Y pipe in it, as I assume it would have water coming in even with the exh bellows on without it?

If you have the Y pipe might be the makings of switchable exhaust, sure wish mine had switchable on it, the twins get a little noisy.

It still has the Y pipe in there, and it is capped at the top. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot of wiggle room between the block and the transom.

haulnazz15

Captain

You can cut the exhaust bellows from the drive if you want, it won't have an effect on anything. I guess my question is why would you want to mess with it (exhaust bellows), it's not really hurting anything. That being said, I seriously doubt you could remove the y-tube with the engine in place since there are several bolts that are hard enough to reach with the engine out, especially the one with the allen-head. I'd leave well enough alone, the exhaust bellows aren't hurting anything because they aren't made to keep water out anyway, it's just to route the exhaust thru the prop. Many people with thru-prop exhaust just use an exhaust tube instead of the bellows.