Evinrude 115 tune-up

jkate

Recruit
Hi, I would highly appreciate any advice on how to tune-up evinrude 115 engine up to at least 150?? parts, procedure? i've been looking all over internet but with no luck so far. i only found procedure for small engines.
again i'd be greatful for any help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 115 tune-up

Would be helpful if you posted the year and model of your engine. There are some modifications which can be done to some engines which will improve performance. Unlikely you will be able to get it up to 150 and still consider it a recreational engine.

jkate

Recruit

Would be helpful if you posted the year and model of your engine. There are some modifications which can be done to some engines which will improve performance. Unlikely you will be able to get it up to 150 and still consider it a recreational engine.

the engine is from the 90's, i couldn't find out the exact year, it came with the boat i bought. i will try to find out the exact model. it would be great to get some suggestions.
i'm only familiar with small types of engines. that's why i'm not exactly sure how to proceed with this one. thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

OMC made two distinctively different types of 115's in the mid 90's. A loop-charged 60 degree block and a 90 degree crossflow type.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

OMC made two distinctively different types of 115's in the mid 90's. A loop-charged 60 degree block and a 90 degree crossflow type.

and they had a "hot rod" version of one style!! the 60 *looper motors!

they had the INTRUDER and FASTRIKE versions in at least 115 hp...

BUT... they were still listed at 115 hp but their operating RPM range was higher and their gears might have been different..

but in any case...you will likely never see more than a 10-15 hp increase if you are very lucky!!!!

unless you spend 10 's of thousands of dollars totally customizing it..

theoretically you could over bore by .04 , maybe find some higher compression pistons, rework the heads and if smart enough modify your carbs to feed the new bore...

maybe tweak the tuning..

other than that you are talking major major money....

good luck
let us know how it goes

bob

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, I would highly appreciate any advice on how to tune-up evinrude 115 engine up to at least 150?? parts, procedure? i've been looking all over internet but with no luck so far. i only found procedure for small engines.
again i'd be greatful for any help.

Well, you could add a Power Band. I hear the red ones really make this motor scream. :) :)

jkate

Recruit

and they had a "hot rod" version of one style!! the 60 *looper motors!

they had the INTRUDER and FASTRIKE versions in at least 115 hp...

BUT... they were still listed at 115 hp but their operating RPM range was higher and their gears might have been different..

but in any case...you will likely never see more than a 10-15 hp increase if you are very lucky!!!!

unless you spend 10 's of thousands of dollars totally customizing it..

theoretically you could over bore by .04 , maybe find some higher compression pistons, rework the heads and if smart enough modify your carbs to feed the new bore...

maybe tweak the tuning..

other than that you are talking major major money....

good luck
let us know how it goes

bob

Thank you so much Bob for your response, that was very helpful!
I only have one more question regarding propellers for boat which weigh around 600-800 Lb - would you recommend any specific ones?

again thanks a lot!

kate

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Kate, The 150HP Johnnys are V6 motors. The highest stock HP out of the V4 motors was 130HP, although I do not know how they achieved that rating.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are they expesnive..if not I want 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!maybe 3:D

bob

Not expensive at all, if you can find them since Power Bands are in such high demand.

A Flux Capacitor costs a little more and is even harder to find, but if you install them correctly you should be able to get 92 mph from this boat/motor combo.

:) :)

jkate

Recruit

One more question on how to modify/change crooked ("hunchbacked") flushing into reversible loop flushing (rinse) (with flat pistons)??

and again question regarding propellers for boat which weigh around 600-800 Lb - would any of you recommend any specific ones?

thank you so much!

kate

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can convert it to a reversible loop flushing rinse type motor but you'll have to use only left hand running water which is rather hard to find on this side of the equator.

OK, enough of that. Are you asking if your crossflow can be converted to a looper? If so, no not really. Or at least not easily or cheaply. The crossflow will never make the torque that the loopers do. Even comparing stock 140 crossflows to 90 or 120 hp loopers you'd be amazed.

As for props, you'll want to match your prop to your particular type of boating and get one that puts you at the correct rpm range for your motor. If you're looking for strickly top speed it'll probably be a different style prop than one for pulling water toys. And your set up will be very different too.

jkate

Recruit

thanks a lot!
and sorry about the bad terminology, rooky mistakes ;)