merc 302 trouble

meversole6

Recruit
i have a complete merc 302 with a cracked block and a good ford 302 out of a truck. does anyone know what all would have to be changed to make it work?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: merc 302 trouble

brass core plugs unless FWC, cast iron timing cover, marine carb, starter, alt.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I wouldn't,... It'll be just Fine....

zbnutcase

Commander

And these engines are externally balanced, and Ford changed the amounts of weigh carried in the flywheel and damper. If the truck engine is 81 or newer, you MUST use 81 and newer damper AND flywheel with it.

haulnazz15

Captain

And these engines are externally balanced, and Ford changed the amounts of weigh carried in the flywheel and damper. If the truck engine is 81 or newer, you MUST use 81 and newer damper AND flywheel with it.

^Yup, 50oz counterweight was used for the later models, early models were a 28.2oz.

sully73

Cadet

im kinda in the same boat, no pun intended lol. i have a 72 302 thats messed up, but have a crown vic police car motor i want to switch out. are you saying that the donor will be fine as long as we use the newer motors balancer and flexplate, or do we need to find some off of a 81 or newer boat?

Niedhogg

Seaman Apprentice

im kinda in the same boat, no pun intended lol. i have a 72 302 thats messed up, but have a crown vic police car motor i want to switch out. are you saying that the donor will be fine as long as we use the newer motors balancer and flexplate, or do we need to find some off of a 81 or newer boat?

My take on it is that you need the balancer and flexplate off of whatever year block you will be using. And why the brass core plugs? Is this so you can pull them out to drain the block? They don't corrode I take it?

zbnutcase

Commander

Forget it. The modular engines were never used in a marine app, and cannot be used to replace a 302, even if somebody did make exhaust manifolds for them, which they don't.

haulnazz15

Captain

Forget it. The modular engines were never used in a marine app, and cannot be used to replace a 302, even if somebody did make exhaust manifolds for them, which they don't.

A 302 is a 302. 302's are not "modular" engines, I believe you are thinking of the 4.6/5.4L Triton engines.

Niedhogg

Seaman Apprentice

Please expand on your answer, we are obviosly new to the marine vs. automobile thing. I don't know much about ford blocks either and the modular thing has me stumped too. Why would the blocks be any different? I understand the heads, intake, carb, and all the other external components, but enlighten us on the differences in the blocks.