How much water is abnormal?

Just Learning

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 1997 Sea Ray 190, 4.3L Merc, Alpha One outdrive. Got it on the lake for the first time this season last weekend (all the rain had docks underwater until now! :( )<br />I seem to be taking on water somewhere but can't figure out where. I realize it could just be wash up from the wake after slowing down quickly or something. Don't have to constantly run bilge pump, just hit it maybe every 30 min to 1 hr.<br />Haven't let it get to where it auto turns on.<br />So--- question is am I just paranoid? How much is too much? to where I wonder if bellows are leaking etc.???<br /> :confused:

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How much water is abnormal?

How old are the bellows? Sometimes when there is a leak in the bellows you can here the water trickle into the boat. You should take note of water intake in dry weather while in harbour. Sounds like too much to run pump so often.

Just Learning

Seaman Apprentice

Bellows are as old as the boat, 6 yrs., but bot the boat last year with 60 hrs. on it. May have dry-rotted.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i wouldn't leave it at the slip too long with a bad bellows. water can enter bilge & sink your boat. even wit an auto bilge pump, if the battery goes dead you're sunk.

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, IMHO, Any Leak, is too Big of a Leak....

flashback

Captain

you may have a drain valve open on the engine or the manifolds/risers. if the water is hot, then it is most likely an open valve somewhere ;'.........................goodluck

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the transom bolts that hold the outdrive on.<br />Any shrinkage in the transom will cause loose bolts. Pull bolts out one at a time, fill will sealant and re-install and tighten from inside boat.

notaxnd

Cadet

I have the same problem I get about five gallons in about four hours. I have a volvo penta 3.0 I think the problem is in the transom seal. If the universial bellows was leaking I think It would take out gimbal bearing I was out on the lake today and came home and pulled the out drive off and there was no water in the bellows. To replace that seal the engine has to be removed what I have been told.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

It can be the shift cable boot,kick outdrive to the left,check pull tie at end of boot.Take the time while your in the water with a buddy and have a strong flashlight along with a couple of mirrows ,use sunlight for a good light .It's hard to see parts when there painted black so take the time.Check at idle while just sitting for 30 minutes then after a hard run check again.