Water dripping from circ pump

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just like the title says, I have water dripping from my circ pump on the front of the motor. Its not a fast drip at all, and yes I have raw water cooling. What is the concerns, and what problems could be caused? Can a replacement pump wait? How long?

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water dripping from circ pump

I'll probably get jumped for this, but my recirc pump has been leaking for 2 years and I'm probably not changing it this year either. I get a drip about 3 seconds, and after a solid hour of cruising I have about 2 quarts of water in the bilge. It's not enough for my bilge pump to even suck out.

Catastophic failure will eventually come I guess, but not before the leak gets much worse, and I'm not going to run out of cooling lake water before I can get back to the ramp. I decided I can live with it, especially since there are higher priority things my boat needs. Trim tabs, Bimini, etc.

YMMV, and don't do anything you feel uncomfortable with based on some idjit (me) from the interweb. But that's my cool story, bro.
CoolStoryBroBillyMays.png

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will keep in mind that just because your not having issues, doesn't mean I won't. This does give me a good reference point though, and makes me feel like I should be able to get the rest of the season out of it, then fix it in the off season at my convenience.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

but it could aslo be the cause for your overheating

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not overheating.... if the boat was overheating, I would hardly suspect a drip from the circ pump. I would more suspect the waterpump in the outdrive to be shot.