Force 125 Timing Specs??

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am not obsessing here, but this is way too fun and I just cant help it. I downloaded a Force manual that seems to be an original from US Marine. For a 1987 125 hp timing specs it says Static at 34 BTDC and Dynamic at 32 BTDC. I do not understand this. I thought that static or "cranking" should always be a lower number (less advanced) than Dynamic timing. Clymers specs call for Static at 28 BTDC and Dynamic at 30 BTDC. What is this all about?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force 125 Timing Specs??

All of the manuals that I've seen always shows the "Static" timing for a 1987 125HP to be 30. Dynamic (motor running full throttle) timing is 32 degrees. I suspect the manual that you downloaded is wrong. Wouldn't be the the first time.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Frankly--get it?--I usually time them on the water so I forget exactly which is correct static 2 degrees advanced or retarded. However, I would accept the factory manual over Clymers. I have seen other misteaks--get it?-- in Clymers.

As far as actual timing, originally, Chrysler engines were timed at 32 degrees BTDC at WOT. Sometime around the late 70s to early 80s, they reduced the timing to 30 degrees to compensate for poor quality marine gasoline.

So, you pays yer money and you takes yer cherce: Time at either setting. Most likely no damage will occur. I run all my Chryslers at 32 and all my Forces at 30

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class

So frankly Frank, what you are saying is that static timing is not as accurate as setting the timing dynamically, actually running at WOT on the water? So my timing set at 28 BTDC statically may not end up at 30 BTDC when the motor is actually running at WOT? Which direction do you turn the timing screw to advance the timing, clockwise?