Fuel tank installation questions

jvl711

Cadet
I am getting close to reinstalling the fuel tank in my boat and I had a few quick questions I was hoping you guys could help me with. The fuel tank is an aluminum 85 gallon bellow deck tank.

1. Do I need to glue the tank in, or can I just try to clamp the tank down with wood or foam so it does not move?

2. The fuel fill line travels a far distance under the deck, and I wanted to secure the fuel line to the stringers. Would it be ok to use the cushioned stainless steel wire clamps to secure the fuel fill line and vent line? Is this over kill? Should just lay the fuel line on the hull of the boat?

Thanks,
Josh

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel tank installation questions

1. fuel tanks usually have a bulkhead in front and behind them,,,,as well....the are between stringers so the cannot move.

most have a flange at the bottom of the tank.
this flange screws into a small fiberglassed in block of wood.

2. yes....use the rubber/foam encased hose holders.....they are expencive....but that line must not move.....if it does...it will chaff and leak.
that goes for all the fuel lines. including the vent line

drewpster

Commander

Quick Idea. Let me run it buy you.
Have you considered the possibility of running your fuel line through a piece of plastic conduit? If it is sealed along the length of the run under the deck and you get a leak, it would keep it in the pipe and not in the bottom of your boat. And if you had to replace it, you would not have to tear the deck up.
Do you have access to the tank and the run of the fuel line?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

imho a plastic pipe is the optimum.

i run all my lines thru it when ever possible.
however you must sand the end of the conduit or use heat to bend the plastic out of the way so the pipe wont chaff the hose at the exit.

jvl711

Cadet

1. fuel tanks usually have a bulkhead in front and behind them,,,,as well....the are between stringers so the cannot move.

most have a flange at the bottom of the tank.
this flange screws into a small fiberglassed in block of wood.

2. yes....use the rubber/foam encased hose holders.....they are expencive....but that line must not move.....if it does...it will chaff and leak.
that goes for all the fuel lines. including the vent line

Thanks oops. I do not have a flange on the gas tank, but I will find a way to secure the tank. I was thinking a cross member or two between the two stringers would do it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....just glass in the bulkhead (cross member)
dont go overboard with epoxy and 97 layers of woven roving capped with carbon fiber.

just glass it so the bulkhead wont allow the tank to move.

another thing.....make sure that there is a way for the water to drain to the bilge....that means passage under the tank.
most belly tanks had a V in the bottom...but a flat spot so the water could drain.

jvl711

Cadet

yep....just glass in the bulkhead (cross member)
dont go overboard with epoxy and 97 layers of woven roving capped with carbon fiber.

just glass it so the bulkhead wont allow the tank to move.

another thing.....make sure that there is a way for the water to drain to the bilge....that means passage under the tank.
most belly tanks had a V in the bottom...but a flat spot so the water could drain.

There is raised ridges in the hull so that water can drain under the tank. The manufacturer made these raised ridges out of fiberglass.

Just so I am clear, you would have a drain hole between the bilge and fuel tank bulk head so that water can flow out of the fuel tank compartment.

I was concerned this would let water into the fuel tank compartment, and potentially lead to future rot.

Thanks for all of your help oops. It has been very insightful!