tilt/trim will not raise?

MartyL

Cadet
I am new to site as well as this particular boat. It has a 5.7 mercruiser with alpha outdrive. I have looked around on here and seen a lot of useful info but my situation is a little different. The trim will go down all the way and the trailer switch will raise all the way up but when you start from all the way down and push the up switch it only raises about two to three inches and then stops. Like I said it will raise some and then stop but the trailer switch will raise it all the way up. Please help any suggestions would be appriciated

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt/trim will not raise?

That's the trim section for when your running.It's to raise the bow for better performance.
You just have to use both at one time.J

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am new to site as well as this particular boat. It has a 5.7 mercruiser with alpha outdrive. I have looked around on here and seen a lot of useful info but my situation is a little different. The trim will go down all the way and the trailer switch will raise all the way up but when you start from all the way down and push the up switch it only raises about two to three inches and then stops. Like I said it will raise some and then stop but the trailer switch will raise it all the way up. Please help any suggestions would be appriciated

That's normal. There's a trim interrupt switch on the side of your outdrive that stops it. As Marty said, the purpose of the bow up/down is to enhance planing and performance. After that limit, you risk damaging the u-joints in the drive by operating motor.

MartyL

Cadet

both points taken but it isnt that I dont understand the switches or what they do. They have always worked fine but I had to pull the lines off to remove engine cover for a head gasket replacement so once pressure was lossed the outdrive dropped to bottom (on trailer) but now will not lift back up, only two or three inches. Instead of before it would raise further for performance and then once reached the launch hit the trailer button to lift all the way up. Maybe I shouldve explained symptoms a little better. Thanks for the quick response though

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmmmm...do you have enough fluid? is there a leak (pressure test it)? does anything have to be bled?

Have you downloaded the serivce manual? Maybe it has suggestions in there.

MartyL

Cadet

will check those things out next just kinda puzzled because solenoid is obviously working as well as switch because it does raise some. Fluid level was low due to loss of pressure when outdrive was up and fell so I topped that off. And the motor is working or nothing would happen ahh just one of those things that makes owning and maintaining a boat yourself all worthwhile. Thanks again for the advice

whit71

Seaman Apprentice

How hard did it fall?? If it was pretty hard the limit switch may have slipped. Look on the side of the outdrive I dont remember which side one side is trim limit one side is trim gauge the is a row of marks on the round limit switch loosen the little phillips head screws and turn the body of limit switch it will adjust the height the outdrive can trim up. BE CAREFUL DONT ALLOW THE OUT DRIVE TO TRIM HIGHER THAN THE TWO ARMS THAT CRADLE THE OUT DRIVE ON BOTH SIDES AND DONT EVER USE TRAILER SWICH WHEN RUNNING AT SPEED IF YOU TRIM HIGHER THAN THESE ARMS THE OUTDRIVE CAN RING OFF!! Good luck

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Probably need to adjust your trim limit switch. The maximum distance between the trim cylinder mounting studs should be no higher than 21 3/4" when the limit switch cuts out.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Probably need to adjust your trim limit switch. The maximum distance between the trim cylinder mounting studs should be no higher than 21 3/4" when the limit switch cuts out.

He didn't say what he has:confused: if it is a gen II that would be 20 3/4".