reed valves?

87blf125

Petty Officer 3rd Class
is there anyway symtoms that might tell you your reed valves are bad or goin bad or any way to check them without taking them out?

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer
Re: reed valves?

depending on the enigine the reed valves are behind the intakes which may require you to remove the carbs to look at them...

if you have a manual for your engine it should show you what the procedure is on your engine...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What problems are you having? Usually a dead cylinder:good compression but no change when a plug wire is pulled off.
Fill out your profile and tell us what's wrong.J

keretty

Cadet

I am having a similar problem. My #1 cylinder has excellent spark, fuel and compression but doesn't cause a change in the engine when the plug is removed.

Can anything be done to repair the reeds or do they need to be replaced?

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The carbs will push air out when cranking if they are worn or it will idle bad.. If they are stuck shut then it wont have any or it will have very little vacuum on the intake side of the carb.

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

What are the life span of reeds? I'm not sure of the maintenance to my motor so I have been repalacing things that looks worn or corroded. So far the only issue I have is; 6 or 7 attempts before it starts and after it starts it surges for about 3 minutes then idles smooth. Is this normal?

Tom

keretty

Cadet

This is exactly the problem I have been having with my 1976 85 HP Johnson Javelin. I'm going to pull the carbs and check the reed valve for #1 cylinder.

Last edited:

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

what model and serial number do you have?.. some engines has push to choke features for cold starting.. if your has that be sure its working.

once the engine warms up..try starting and stopping it.. if she fire good after warm then you have have a cold start issue where you arent getting the feul bypassing the carbs to start on the firt few attempts.

reeds can last forever..and they rarely fail.. but can.. if your reeds failed you would get fuel spitting back out the carb

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I have to push the key in to choke. When I do that there is a click I assuming is the primer valve or choke. After the motor is warm she fires up right away first time. I didn't quite understand what you meant by fuel bypassing the carbs on cold start. Doesn't the choke pump in a rich fuel mixure into the carbs? Sorry for the questions but I am slowing learning all I can.

Thanks,
Tom

92rslt1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The choke shuts a butterfly flap on the outside of the carb..It increases negative pressure over the jet and draws more fuel through it into the motor.

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i belive some of the forces, removed the chokes and installed a fuel enrichment valve for cold starts

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I have to push the key in to choke. When I do that there is a click I assuming is the primer valve or choke. After the motor is warm she fires up right away first time. I didn't quite understand what you meant by fuel bypassing the carbs on cold start. Doesn't the choke pump in a rich fuel mixure into the carbs? Sorry for the questions but I am slowing learning all I can.

Thanks,
Tom

if you have a choke solenoid it will have a fuel line going to it as a supply and then it will split out into 2 or 4 or 6 small black hoses..depending on how many cylinders. By bypassing the carbs I meant it shoots fuel right to the cylinders without having to be drawn through the carbs, reeds etc.. the purpose is to give you fuel at the top so she starts right up and get warm..
keep in mind the choke closes once you release the key so no more fuel is bypassing. at that point your engine movement will create the suction it needs to start drawing from the carbs..and by this time the engine is warm so the fuel vaprizes for easier combustion.