Running hot!

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all! I have a Volvo Penta 5.7L GXI 320 H.P. and running duo props. I have a new impeller and sea water pump and am still running hot, I took the thermostat out and ran it and still hot again. When I'm idling i'm ok it just gets hot when under load. Any ideas? Frusterated!!

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Running hot!

THen you may have a blockage, was the previous Impeller in peices ? how about the one before that ? I've replaced an impeller only to find peices of the one before the Owner changed and couldn't figure out why it was not pumping water, they peices were still in the seawater pump (didn't get very far) totally blocked. I would run water through each hose that I couldn't look through or check.

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The sea water pump is new so no pieces should be in there, I will check the hoses for any pieces in there. Should I only check the outlet hose?

whit71

Seaman Apprentice

Was it runing hot before you changed the impellor? My Volvo has the impellor mounted to the harmonic balancer, when i changed mine it was at the begining of the spring before it had been run since draining the water the previous winter. So the system was completely dry it ran hot first time i took it out, had to take it back to the house put it on the garden hose (suction cup motor flush thing)to prime the system. It ran fine after that. Good luck

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was it runing hot before you changed the impellor? My Volvo has the impellor mounted to the harmonic balancer, when i changed mine it was at the begining of the spring before it had been run since draining the water the previous winter. So the system was completely dry it ran hot first time i took it out, had to take it back to the house put it on the garden hose (suction cup motor flush thing)to prime the system. It ran fine after that. Good luck

Well I bought the boat at the first of the season and had a new impeller put in, did the gimbal bearing, changed the oil, filter just pm stuff before I took it out it. It ran hot after that so then my mechanic took off the housing and it had a groove in it so he thought thats what was causing the overheating, just replaced it last night and it's still running hot, took the thermostat out and ran it and still hot.

whit71

Seaman Apprentice

Try taking off the water neck and fill with water to prime the system. Dont do this while the engine is hot!! Cold water in a hot engine wont end well. Good luck

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm back in business, it ended up being the previous owners blown impeller stuck through out my hoses. I kept telling my mechanic that I think it's a restriction but he didn't think so and what do I know I'm not mechanically sound,called a different mechanic told him my story he pulled a couple of hoses and there was about 15 pieces of the old impeller. Took it out for a test run and it didn't get above 160, I did a dance, paid him, tipped him and now I can have a good holiday weekend!!! Thanks for all you're input!