Won't stay running once shifted to forward

Lil Fesot

Cadet
My 87 Bayliner with a 2.3L Ford and OMC outdrive ran fine the first 20 minutes out on my first run this season. When I slowed to idle to go through a lock, the engine reduced RPM and stalled while still in gear. I restarted the engine easily and shifted to forward. The engine would again stall. After trying several times to get it to stay running in forward, I tried reverse. It appeared to run OK. I placed it in neutral and back to forward and it ran fine. I proceeded directly back to the launch and had to wait for a few folks ahead of me. When I slowed to idle again in gear, it stalled and I could not get it to stay running. I was able to start and stall my way back to the launch.

Not sure where to start. It ran fine when it did not stall in forward, plenty of power. I can go out and start it with the muffs and it idles fine. I don't think it is a fuel challenge. Could it be the ESA? module.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Won't stay running once shifted to forward

Sounds to me like a lower shift cable issue, has it had one in last 5-10 years?

cr2k

Captain

Yep most likely the lower shift cable.

Lil Fesot

Cadet

Thanks for the quick responses. It has not had a new lower shift cable since I have owned it so looks like it is time.

I will give it a go.

Thanks.