Adding a water separation filter

TrybalRage

Seaman
I have a Mercruiser 3.0L that did not come with a water separation filter from the factory. I want to add one, but in looking I see some that have 3/8" fittings and 1/4" fittings - but I can get barbs that will fit the 3/8" fuel line I have and fit either.

Will the different fittings have an effect on fuel flow? Even if it did, I'm not sure it would matter enough for something like the 3.0L.

Any advice?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Adding a water separation filter

Use the biggest fittings you can, minimum 3/8". You should be able to get the barbs from any boat shop, car parts shop or on-line store.

Yes, restricted fuel flow will cause problems, even to a 3.0 litre engine....

Chris........

smarks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go with the larger one.. better fuel flow, not as restrictive.

Steve

zbnutcase

Commander

Larger never hurts, but there are millions of boats with much larger engines than yours running around with the 1/4in size just fine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Larger never hurts, but there are millions of boats with much larger engines than yours running around with the 1/4in size just fine.

Hey 'case,

Few months back I had some idiot tell me that putting large fittings and hoses on would cause the fuel pump to work too hard and kill it. After I argued the point he tells me he knows what he's talking about because we was a fitter in the navy! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

On line size, Merc recommend that engines over 50hp be fitted with 5/16" or larger and over 150 shouldn't be smaller than 3/8". I've got 1/2" on my v6.... :D:D

C............