heard transom crack

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was tightening down my motor mount bolts today and made a newbie mistake of over tightening and heard a crack. not sure if the wood cracked inside or if it was just the gelcoat cracking. all the old timers out at the boat launch have told me i have a solid transom for a 33 year old boat. i hope i didnt cause structural damage.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: heard transom crack

There is some flex to transoms. However, the gel coat wont flex. Look for cracks in the gel coat.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I backed the nuts off a little bit but there is a little bit of bow at the motor mounts on the outside of the transom.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I backed the nuts off a little bit but there is a little bit of bow at the motor mounts on the outside of the transom.

Explain?

Did you also use large ss fender washer's and sealant?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

You cracked the gelcoat at the mounting holes. As long as you used a good polyurethane adhesive/sealant, you'll be fine.

But there will be others that say...
1lg021thumbsdown.gif

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You cracked the gelcoat at the mounting holes. As long as you used a good polyurethane adhesive/sealant, you'll be fine.

But there will be others that say...
1lg021thumbsdown.gif

I used big SS fender washers and sealed the area with silicone. Im planning on having a guy replace the transom in the winter before i do any cosmetic restore work.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I take that back... i didnt use fender washers on the outside because the motor mount uses a carriage bolt which does not allow for a fender washer...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No.... fender washer's just on the inside ;)

Carriage bolts ?? You really should use a good SS 1/2" bolt.....
and in the future....never use silicone on a boat ;) Seabob mentioned it you should have use polyurethane sealant and yes you heard the surface cracking.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No.... fender washer's just on the inside ;)

Carriage bolts ?? You really should use a good SS 1/2" bolt.....
and in the future....never use silicone on a boat ;) Seabob mentioned it you should have use polyurethane sealant and yes you heard the surface cracking.
I was using a SS 1/2" bolt but it didnt seem like it was correct. the SS carriage bolts allow the head to stay in place while inside the boat tightening the nut... I guess ill have to pull everything and strt over with the correct hardware and sealant...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the 1/2" carriage bolts will be fine for a season if they fit properly and if you are replacing the transom after this season don't sweat the silicone either.... just use 5200 in the future I would also switch to hex bolts then too as they are MUCH easier to work with if the threads seize than carriage bolts

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Install the top bolts (hex heads) with the head on the outside of the transom. You can reach both the bolt and the nut from there. Install the bottom bolts, hex heads also, with the bolt heads on the inside of the transom. That way, if you have to move the motor up or down, it's a lot easier to put a pair of vise-grips on the the lower bolt heads, back them off a little bit, and re-position the motor.

BTW, that's exactly how I have installed thousands of O/Bs. Vise grips on the bolt heads on the lower mounts, impact on the nuts...for the last 16 years...by myself.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You should be able to stand on the motor without the transom moving more than 1/8'' if it moves more than that it is on its way out.

Unless you weigh 300lbs it should take your weight without moving.