Thump sound in intermediate housing

lmjpsl

Cadet
I have a 1976 OMC, Ford 302, 190 hp engine.

I had previously posted about a stalling issue when I put the boat on the water. I did all the gas related problem solving. It appears I fixed that because it idled very well at the dock today. I moved through the no-wake zone without a problem. When I began to give it gas after the no-wake zone, it died. It started again, but each time I tried giving it gas, it appeared the carburetor would flood because of not being able to move fast enough.

I noticed, in retrospect, even before taking it out, that there was a small thump coming from the intermediate housing about every five to seven seconds. When I got back to the dock and started it up, the thump was even louder and I could really feel it when I touched the transom. While at the dock, I had the back of the boat in the water so that I could try troubleshooting better. I noticed that when this thump occurred, more water would squirt up from where the outdrive connects to the intermediate housing.

Any ideas on what could be causing this thump and making the water squirt and the boat stalling.