Just a friendly reminder

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just talked to a buddy of mine.

Dnr is going to be out in an extra full capacity this weekend.

They have directives to check as many boats as possible, with an extra "chase boat" on patrol as well. I am sure that this will be comon all over.

So, I just wanted to remind everyone to double check your boats for all your safety gear.

Check the expiration date on your flares, if so required for your area.
Go over your PFD's and throwable, check that they are in good condition. Not torn, old foam, broken strap, etc.
Check your lights, bilge pump, blower, and horn, and I recommend a whistle as a back up.
Ensure that your fire extinguisher is good and mounted properly.
Have your registration and any other important papers in the boat.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

And most importantly.....if you will be enjoying frosty golden man sodas, HAVE A DESIGNATED XO to take the helm for you. Please do not, for the sake of yourself and others, drink and drive your boat.

Have a good weekend, remeber what it is for, and live to tell us all about the SHT's you saw.:p

And yes, my daughter, the XO, will be at the helm for the entire weekend;). The Admiral and I will be in the bow:).

And PLEASE, none of that anti-LEO/CPO talk. This is not about that!

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just a friendly reminder

I have a preg. lady as my Designated driver :)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

The DNR's been present every weekend since a girl died on a waverunner on Memorial Day weekend around here...

I haven't been pulled over yet, but I'm sure its coming.... It will be interesting too since I just bought my boat 2 weeks ago... I've got KY registration from the previous owner, a "special permit" from the dealer, a paper tag on the trailer, and 2 notorized bills of sale for the boat & trailer... It will probably be an hour long stop while they read all the paperwork! :eek:

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey thad you gonna be on the river during the fireworks?? Always wanted to do it myself, just couldn't bring myself to get into the middle of all that mess.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The DNR's been present every weekend since a girl died on a waverunner on Memorial Day weekend around here...

I haven't been pulled over yet, but I'm sure its coming.... It will be interesting too since I just bought my boat 2 weeks ago... I've got KY registration from the previous owner, a "special permit" from the dealer, a paper tag on the trailer, and 2 notorized bills of sale for the boat & trailer... It will probably be an hour long stop while they read all the paperwork! :eek:

It would not be about the paperwork it will be about the SAFETY ITEMS that you MAY NOT have on board.
Check THADS original post. He mentions other items that you will get a ticket for if you do not have on board.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hey thad you gonna be on the river during the fireworks?? Always wanted to do it myself, just couldn't bring myself to get into the middle of all that mess.

Thinking about it. Have not done it for a few years.
The best way we found was to not be in a hurry. Because everyone else is:eek:
It really is not that bad. Get there early, hang loose, swim, grill or what ever. When the show is over, don't pull your anchor. Let everyone else rush to the ramp. When we hear it quit down, we put to the ramp, if it is still busy, put off to the side, and wait. No biggie. It is a good time if you don't need to be the first one on the trailer:cool:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

It would not be about the paperwork it will be about the SAFETY ITEMS that you MAY NOT have on board.
Check THADS original post. He mentions other items that you will get a ticket for if you do not have on board.

Maybe you should go back and check THADS original post. He put
Have your registration and any other important papers in the boat

BTW, the only "safety" item I'm missing is a flare. I'll swing by Autozone and pick one up on the way to the lake. The life jackets, throwable, anchor, ropes, horn, whistle, & 2 fire extinguishers are all onboard!

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

Check the expiration date on your flares, if so required for your area.
Go over your PFD's and throwable, check that they are in good condition. Not torn, old foam, broken strap, etc.

All Good Information, I would like to add, During my last Safty Gear inspection, The inspecting officer suggested that my "Throwable" is on deck and readily accessable(I had mine in cabin).
Be Safe out there.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Same here in Wisconsin.

Operation Dry Water

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=1736
Wardens and boat patrol officers will be aggressively detecting, screening and arresting intoxicated operators. Impaired boaters caught this weekend can expect penalties to be severe.

During that 2009 three-day weekend, 2,442 marine law enforcement officers made contact with 17,454 recreational vessels and issued 5,320 boating safety warnings, 283 BUI citations and 1,127 citations for other violations. This included 13 OWI citations in Wisconsin as well as hundreds of contacts between marine officers and boaters. This year, all 56 states, trusts and territories are expected to participate.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Both DNR and Sheriffs departments were very active last weekend at the high mountain lakes here. Invasive species inspections at several lakes and safety inspections as well. The deputy at one of the lakes asked if I wanted a free safety inspection - he said the sticker on the stern was like boat cop repellent :D.

gonefishie

Commander

BTW, the only "safety" item I'm missing is a flare. I'll swing by Autozone and pick one up on the way to the lake. The life jackets, throwable, anchor, ropes, horn, whistle, & 2 fire extinguishers are all onboard!

I'm not sure about our reg. but be sure to get a CG approved flare, Gander Mountain carries them. Road flares might not be acceptable.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just talked to a buddy of mine.

Dnr is going to be out in an extra full capacity this weekend.

What is Dnr, Dept Natural Resources?

I am mainly am out on Corps Of Engineer lakes, so not familiar with the term?
We have Game Wardens on our lake.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What is Dnr, Dept Natural Resources?

I am mainly am out on Corps Of Engineer lakes, so not familiar with the term?
We have Game Wardens on our lake.

Yes, Dept. of Natural Resources. Other states have Dept. of Conservation. They are the same, just a terminology thing. A CPO (Conservation Police Officer), some states call them Rangers, is a game warden for all intent and purposes. In Illinois, they are Federally deputized State Police. Not so familiar with others.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys take that harassment as a blessing, in some territories like where i live in Trinidad we dont have 'DNR' to check up on us, we dont even have the full list of specific rules, but for the safety of our loved ones we chose to do the right thing. all the required safety equipment, minimums, that are set are for our own safety.
Also if you decide to do the right thing, there is no way for you to insist that the other idiot who is just rich enough to buy a boat but does not care about his life or others, does the same, thats where the DNR officers help out.
Dont wait until they are out in force, use the check list and ensure that you have everything required on board and in good condition. When i bought my boat in Florida last year I bought all new safety equipment as per USCG requirements and more than they require in almost all cases.
say thank God that your territory has the rules, without yours I would have been guessing what equipment i would have needed, and the authorities would usually be in a position to give u good advice, like keeping the throwable in the cockpit.
If we do the right thing for our families sake, water police would just be an asset, to save us from idiots and guide us where we may be unfamiliar.
Have a safe boating season.

No Fuss :D

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dont wait until they are out in force, use the check list and ensure that you have everything required on board and in good condition.
No Fuss :D

You are correct. I believ most people do.

But sometimes things get over looked or just forgoten about until it is too late. A little reminder is never gonna hurt.;)

Trinidad, that must be some beautiful boating there. I could only imagine having my boat in water like that.:(

Fly Rod

Commander

No problem around my way. We have the coast guard checking boats seven days a week. All you need to do here if you have already been checked is just show them your recent safty check receipt that you were already inspected and they just say,"have a good day."

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No problem around my way. We have the coast guard checking boats seven days a week. All you need to do here if you have already been checked is just show them your recent safty check receipt that you were already inspected and they just say,"have a good day."

I have my boat inspected every year. Get my nice little sticker and display it as recommended. I liked last years sticker, it matched my boat:p.

Here though, they still want to see that you have everything on board. There have been times that someone has "borrowed" what was needed, got the sticker, and then gave back the equipment.:eek: They figured with that sticker, they would not be stopped:confused:. They were wrong.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here in NC from my experience that little sticker will prevent a boarding and full inspection but being pulled for a safety check and a quick view of safety items will still happen .

I also stay off the water on holiday weekends , to many rookies with beer and boats .