First Wakeboard?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Just got the boat going great - Hey wakeboarders - I have 2 15 year old extremely athletic teen boys - twins - (they are alpine skiers). So they can pick up any sport quickly - what would be a good wakeboard to get - models - etc - I see they are sold w/o bindings....

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First Wakeboard?

A conversation about the brand of board to buy is somewhat like a Dodge/Ford/GM conversation. There are a number of top tier manufacturers that will provide a quality product to you.

Starting with the board the length is generally based on the weight of the rider. You'll also want to choose a board shape based on the type of riding your boys will be doing (i.e. a continuous rocker will give an easier ride with less pop vs a 3 stage rocker with better height but harder landings). The below guide givens you the basics of what you need to know.

http://www.evogear.com/how-to-choose-a-wakeboard-and-wakeboard-size-chart.aspx

On that page there's also a link for bindings. If you buy seperate just make sure the hole pattern for the bindings and board will match - http://www.evogear.com/wakeboard-and-wakeboard-boot-binding-compatibility-chart-and-information.aspx.

I would avoid anything with a universal fit and look for boots that will comfortable for your boys. You can also find some good pricing if you get a package of the board and boots and it get's a lot cheaper if you're OK with a 2009 model instead of this years.

One other consideration if you plan to do this long term will be the boat. With the boat in your signature you'll be fine to get them up (i.e. power wise), but the ability to create a good wake its related to getting the boat down into the water. Don't get me wrong about this, you'll be able to get out and have some fun, but for some serious air you might have to think of an upgrade down the road. For speed you'll want to maintain about 18 - 22 mph so you may need to review the prop you're using as you'll need to keep the boat on plane, but someone cutting hard will pull back on the boat significantly.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Alpine Skiiers and wakeboarding? Have they tried snowboarding? Do they like it? Kind of the same thing...get them a good slalom ski. ;)

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just my .02, but I would get a cheaper entry level board just to make sure they are going to like it. I would shop around on Craigs List, Play it Again sports if you have them around your area, or get a cheaper package new, made by a company like HydroSlide. They have a very reasonable priced new board that should give your boys the chance to see if they like it or not. I learned on one of those boards, and still have it now for those that are trying to learn. My board is a Hyperlite 134 and is a pretty hard board for people trying to just get up.

I just realized that this post is somewhat older. You prob. already got a board by now!?

Guma

Cadet

Your best bet, and this is what I did for my wife, is to find a local watersports shop around you and rent a board or two for the day. Most will put the rental cost towards a board if you end up buying one.

If you don't have a local shop, hit craigslist and ebay for a used setup to make sure they will like it before you buy them.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

We are kind of in the same boat, no pun intended. We just got a boat a month ago, and after learning to ski the kids wanted to try wakeboarding. I picked up an O'brien wakeboard at Dicks on sale for $199 that is working great. So far we've gotten 5 or 6 teens up on it.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Hyperlite State or Era are both good beginner boards that can carry into intermidiate levels as well.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

My first thought was to recommend a Hyperlite State. I enjoy it. When I got to the bottom and saw the same board recommended I figured I'd support that post. Also, Connelly f1x slalom. Both offer great performance with some stability. The slalom ski does want to be put on edge.

Bass_boy7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you need to really look into the boards I myself ride a Ronix "one" board the reason being it has a 3 stage rocker, alowing more pop to get me up over the wake to perform my back rolls, scarecrows ete. you being a novice may want a less aggressive board, it all depends on what your trying to acomplish.