175 Mercury loading up

jwilkes

Cadet
I have a 1993 Trophy 2003CC 20' center console boat powered by a 175hp Mercury outboard. I have owned the boat for about 4 years now and use it for fishing, island hopping, tubing, etc near Sandusky Ohio in Lake Erie. I take relatively good care of it; every season it sees new gear oil, spark plugs, carb de-gunker, fogged and stabiled before storage. I typically run some sort of synthetic blend oil, Pennzoil or West Marine brand. Just put in new thermostats. I have never rebuilt my carbs or sync'd them. I just put a brand new SEI outdrive on it this season, turning my existing 14x19 Michigan Wheel Apollo SS prop. It will plane out at 3200-3500rpm, and with half a tank of fuel (40gal+/-), and just myself or 1 other passenger I can get 45-48mph out of it (gps) trimmed out at around 5400-5500rpm. Loaded with fuel and 4-5 passengers, I drop to around 5100rpm and 40mph. In my opinion, I need a prop with just a tad less pitch- I'd also like to go to a 4-blade as well.

At the beginning of this season, I had an issue with the fast intermittent alarm going off within 30 seconds of the engine starting, either on muffs or in water, before the engine was even warm. I traced it back to the oil reservoir tank on the powerhead. It was 7/8 or so full, but something must be up with the float switch- unplugged it and beep went away.

It has always loaded up some after extended operation at low rpms, putting around the dock, idling, etc. Now, it's the worst its ever been. On Sunday, I had 5 guys out fishing, flying back across the bay, come up to the ramp docks, and it stalled out. This is not that unusual as of late. It wants to chug pretty bad unless I set it in neutral and with a fast idle. (It typically idles at around 600rpm or so.) After a little bit of throttle, some choke, and a few seconds of cranking, it'll fire right back up with the 2 stroke smoke. It's never left me stranded, but it sure is a pain in the nuts sometimes.

Could it be that I need to rebuild my carbs and re-sync them? Go to idle jets that'll lean it out just a bit? Re-prop? Is there a way I can dial back the oiling system a bit?

Tonight I'm going to put a new fuel filter in it, and clean the carbs out as good as I can with spray.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long winded post, but I appreciate the help!!

truckandboat.jpg

Doug57

Seaman
Re: 175 Mercury loading up

I have a 150 and was having about the same problem. Ended up being the stator. Get a spark tester at the auto parts store about $4. check to make sure the spark is strong and constant. You can use a DVA meter to check stator if you have one. Just do a forum search.

jwilkes

Cadet

Thanks for your help; I'll have to look into that. I put a new fuel filter on (a clear one), as well as cleaned the carbs out well with spray. It seemed to run a little crisper afterwards, but I'll see for sure this upcoming weekend. I know this, when I squeezed the primer bulb, I saw some gunk come up into the filter already...it was time for a new one anyway.

I did notice that I have a #40 jet in each barrel of the carbs; would this be the pilot? I'm used to tuning a 38mm Keihin on my Honda 250R; these are a little different. Could I lean the carbs out a bit at idle?

j_martin

Admiral

On the oil alarm. The engine tank is supposed to be plumb full with no air at all in the top. As soon as the level starts to go down (it's not being supplied) the alarm is supposed to go off. The alarm works well, the oil system is failing.

I'm tired of diagramming the entire oil system for folks that don't or won't get the book and check it out for themselves. Search the site and you'll get all the info you need to troubleshoot it.

hope it helps
john

jwilkes

Cadet

Cool; thanks guys. The last thing I need is to be blasting across the lake and my oiler stops working. I just ordered a new pump off ebay, which should be in by Friday.

With regards to the fuel pump; I'd like to get a diaphram kit to rebuild it. It appears to be Sierra #18-7812 or Quicksilver #89031A-2. I'll only need one kit to rebuild the single pump, correct? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Appreciate the help!